I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 2 August 2013

An open and shut case

Hello everyone.  Lovely to have you drop in - and after the previous post's rather dramatic hop into sunshine colours, we're back in the world of cool, serene greens here at Words and Pictures today.


I've altered a wooden pencil case using Artistic Outpost stamps - mixing and matching some of the nature stamps from various sets to give a cool, fresh feel.





And, of course, after raining when I was trying to photograph my sunshine canvas, today it was hard to find anywhere out of the blazing sun to get these photos.  

















But it is also nice to see the sparkle of the crackle when the sun hits it, so I'm not going to complain!
















It all started with a plain wooden box, which first got a coat of Buttermilk and then a coat of Light Buttermilk DecoArt paint.












And then there was the addition of some stamping and some texture paste, some of it through the chicken wire stencil...







... and some of it just patted on for texture.














All the stamping was done in Olive Archival, and I clear-embossed the sentiment for extra protection during whatever I might decide to do later!







Next stage was to start layering on Fresco paints - Honeydew, Guacamole, Hey Pesto and Hyde Park, if memory serves correctly - building up depth and contrast to reveal the textures beneath.











Then it was deep breath time... I'd decided I wanted to try out the DecoArt One-Step Crackle recently back in stock at Calico Crafts.  

Really, I'd wanted to use it when I was guesting recently, but I was out of luck stock-wise.









I know I should probably try these things out on something less significant, but where's the fun in that?

So off I launched, giving the whole pencil case a coat of the crackle glaze. 



I applied it in various thicknesses and with various brushstroke patterns, so that I'd have a sort of sample of possibilities across the box.

So, here it's quite thickly daubed on the texture paste, and very delicately applied in a thin coat over the leaf.














I just love the effect over the random texture.

Do click the photos for close-ups - it's worth it with this stuff!









I'm also happy with how the shading of the paint has worked out, giving extra definition to the edges and corners of the box. 





And a little green highlighting of the hinges too...  

The tiny flowers and the leaf are both from the Generation Redux stamp plate.




I'm sure the quote - from the wonderful Serenity set would have held it's own without the original embossing, but I think it does give it just a touch of extra oomph amongst the rest of the crackle glaze.














And the trees are from the Home set, though I stamped them without their base so as to fit.











Since I promised you an "open and shut case", it's only fair to show you the inside: very simply done with the buttermilk paint and some papers from the Graphic 45 French Country Patterns and Solids 6x6 pad.

I then sealed it with Matte Multi Medium so as to protect it from whatever gets kept inside.













Get that gleaming sunlight...  

We should be getting some more over the next few days, though not quite as hot, so that makes me happy!









Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today.  I value each and every comment, and your lovely feedback keeps a big smile on my face.  Thank you so much, and I'll see you soon - here, or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.


The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.
Lao Tzu

Boredom is the feeling that everything is a waste of time; serenity, that nothing is.
Thomas Szasz

I'd like to enter this in the following:
At Country View Challenges they're looking for Quotations and Sayings
Anything Goes theme at the Simon Says Wednesday Challenge

62 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

A beautiful project that somehow how has a gentleness, lovethe colours you have used and also the fab textures youbhave created ! Hugs trace x

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

Alison I so agree that your box is now a cool and serene treasure.
Love the textures and the little sparkles. Enjoy the sunshine too!

Helen said...

A total beauty - I love the freshness of the greens, and the crackle is as you promised, wonderful! Have a good weekend.

Amanda said...

Absolutely stunning!! Serenity beautifully captured.
Love
Amanda x

chrissie said...

Very beautiful with the cool colours and stronger colour for the stamping.

Never heard the quote before but it is true.

Love Chrissie x

Ink Art Designs said...

Hi Alison. I love this box! Great texture and great colours. As I was reading your post I thought of a saying "no guts, no glory"...lol, so glad that you dared to experiment, it looks stunning!
Dot x

Jenny Marples said...

Beautiful Alison. It would be a shame to put pencils in it now, although a collection of good quality watercolour pencils could find a new home... love it as always. Hugs, Jenny x

Deborah said...

As I look at this on Friday morning, you are echoing the weather - it's just been raining and it's lovely and cool. Love the fresh greens and whites you have used - almost too nice to house pencils.

Margie said...

Thanks for sharing all the details on how you achieved this great loooking box Alison. It really makes me wish I was brave enough to experiment - one of these days, hopefully...... Margie x

Cocofolies said...

Gorgeous box Alison, I love the mix of textures and decoArt Crackle all over it !!... A perfect work as usuals ! Coco xx

Astrid Maclean said...

I liked the bright colours on your last make Alison, but this one made me give a big sigh of satisfaction, for I have to say I LOVE the soft greens on this one. The crackle has worked amazingly well over both the smooth and the textured bits and those wonderful wild flower stamps, - well you know..... a truly GORGEOUS box!!

Cestina said...

This is just stunning. Umm - it will not have escaped your notice that it perfectly matches the colour scheme in Small Worlds. Where there is, of course, a great need of storage boxes of all shapes and sizes :-)

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Again a stunning alteration Alison!
You make everything fit so well to give it a great artistic look with all the great details!
Chapeau...

kind regards, Alie :-)

May said...

Gorgeous altered box Alison, Love the colours & fabulous texture & stamping....the crackle is beautiful... Hugs May x x x

House of Bears said...

You make us want to reach in and touch your art, it's always so textural.

Laurart said...

Beautiful as always! I have loved the bright creations you have been making but it is nice to see those gorgeous greens that are so obviously a favourite of yours. The crackle is gorgeous and the stamps are a perfect choice. Lots of love Laura xxxxxxx

Unknown said...

Love all of the texture on this box Alison. The inside is decorated nicely too. Terrific project! Hugs

Bonnie Irvine said...

This box takes me back to my childhood exploring the woods and creek to escape the heat of the day. How lovely! I love the variation in the crackles and the beautiful texture of the paste. The variation in colour intensity adds so much depth and frames the box beautifully. Your combination of stamps is delightful, Alison.

Mary Elizabeth said...

Love the refreshing colors and stamps Alison. But that crackle finish ... definitely steals the show. Really beautiful. The paper on the inside is perfect for the box. Great project. Have a great weekend -- Mary Elizabeth

Nan G said...

Lovely box, butterfly! The crackle and texture is fab! And so are the colors you've used. Hugs

Brenda Brown said...

Beautiful shades of green and fabulous crackle. Love the stamping and textures you have added.
Hugs Brenda xox

Terry said...

Great mix of paints and stamps. Always love touches of crackle and you know I adore the AO images! Happy Friday!

Yvonne Garner said...

Ah! My favorite color in the whole world, green. Refreshing and breathtaking, your pencil box is indeed memorable for me. Did you seal the outside as well? Thank you for all your visits to my blog. They mean so much to me. Hugs, Yvonne

Claudia N. said...

What a lovely altered box, Alison!

I love the crackle, which turned out so brilliantly! And the colours of the stamped trees and grass too... you chose the perfect colours for the stamped quote!!! The green really gives it a wonderful serene feel!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Beautiful altered box Alison! Love the green shades and texture!
I have a small request - would you consider switching on the mobile version of the blog? It's v. easy, you just set it up in your template tab. It would make viewing and commenting so much easier and quicker as i often browse via my phone :). Thank you! Xxx

Lucy Edmondson said...

Absolutely lush; I love it!

Lucy x

Redanne said...

The crackle is just fabulous and I love the cool greens you used on your gorgeous altered box. Hugs, Anne x

Anonymous said...

The word which immediately popped into my head is "lush".
That green is so vibrant I am sure I can smell cut grass.
Love the addition of the texture you achieved.
Wishes
Lynne

barbarayaya62 said...

Beautiful box! Green is the color of serenity and for me also the holidays! I go on vacation in the Dolomites every year in August and your project reminds me of the meadows that are in that place and who accompany me during this period! It 's all beautiful, the stencil, the crackle', the choice of shades of green! Very good as always Hugs BArbarayaya

Unni A said...

Very beautiful box! I love the colors and texture. The crackle is perfect!
hugs, Unni

Jingle said...

This is so pretty! Wonderful stamping and great texture! Thanks for playing along in the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Julie Lee said...

What amazing crackle - it looks great in green. I love the stamps so much on this too - as delicate as nature itself. It is so perfectly finished and the photographs add to the freshness, beauty and serenity of this piece of work. You are always such an inspiration, Alison - everything you do is so special. Thanks for the inspiring quotes at the end too. Julie Ann xx

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous project, love the colours and the textures.
Yvonne

sam21ski said...

Fab box and of course, I lurve the colour!!!

Sam xxx

Julia said...

Beautiful box. The colours are so lovely and the textures make it extra special. Julia x

toni said...

lovely box Alison! love the cool green shades and textural crackling. have a good weekend ! x

Sandy said...

Cool, green and serene. Beautifully done. At long last, I have the time to read everything you write!!
Sandy

maria's knutselplezier said...

Great stamping jo Alison, great colours to, I know that it isn't easy to stamp on a box of wood , but you made again a wonderful creation , ans what a beautiful green colour!!!

Greetings
Maria

Kjersti said...

I love your project Alison! It is a gorgeous box, beautiful stamps and the green colour is lovely!
Have a nice weekend!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Tracy said...

Wow Alison...your altered box is beautiful and so elegant,loving all the layers of crackle,pretty stamps.....much..much too pretty to use for pencils inside and out.
You are an inspiration!!
Hugs
Tracy xxx

hazel said...

Alison - your box is gorgeous, I love everything about it especially the colour [green is my favourite].
xxx Hazel.

Anonymous said...

LOVE...LOVE...LOVE!!! xx

Martina said...

Alison, your altered box is gorgeous! Love the color, the stamping and the textures. So cool!

Tincan Crafter said...

Incredible Alison you never fail to deliver crafty magic. Love the cool greens and the crackly bits were my favourite!

froebelsternchen said...

wow that looks so fresh and all so wonderful designed dear Alison and the wonderful canvas below is a masterpiece too!

xxx Susi

Carol Q said...

gorgeous box to work with Alison. love your texture on the corners and the way you've added the lovely Greens.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's a wonderful box, great colors and stamping.

Kelly said...

So opposite of the last post! I love the foilage outside for your photos as it just pops the box. I adore this green and the textures you have into it. You are a women of many talents, always beautifully done!
Hugs Kelly

Keren Tamir said...

wow Alison this is STUNNING with a capital S!! love love love it!!
sorry I haven't been around. I was away on vacation with my family!!

Chrissy said...

What a fabulous way to treat a wooden pencil box, which by the way was my favourite item in my school bag when dinosaurs walked the earth..lol..love the greens and textures and the step by step.. and the photos outside are wonderful.

luv CHRISSYxx

cathylynn said...

Who would think a pencil box could be so beautiful??? Love the crackle!! Alison you just blow me away with your talent. Not only with art but you also have an art with words. It's always a pleasure to visit your blog.
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Cinderella Moments said...

The texture is outstanding! Love the matching interior too. It just brings it all together.
hugs♥,
Caroline

Hettie said...

This is beautiful Alison. Love the colours. A beautiful box to keep some treasures in.
Hugs
xx

Kate Yetter said...

Oh, Alison! A gorgeous box, girl. I love that crackly green stuff in the corners. Fun, fun, Fun!!
Kate

Lisa Minckler said...

This is FABULOUS. You're a dream come true to someone with insomnia. I LOVE this creation so much!!! :)
hugs,
me x

Cathy L. Calamas said...

Really gorgeous. Exquisite color palette and don't you just love that texture paint? I would have to keep fine pens in there though. :)

Mrs.B said...

Just catching up - (nothing new there!) gorgeous alteration, love the quote -matches the colour scheme.
Avril xx

Margaret said...

Amazing! Your greens are so soothing and fresh! I love the chicken wire texture, and your brave efforts with the crackle paid off wonderfully! This is absolutely beautiful inside and out!

Kezzy said...

Wow wow absolutely gorgeous amazing pencil box. I love love love the graduated greens with the light vanilla type colour. The texture is awesome and I am so loving that crackle gaze. Hugs kezzy :-) xxx

Inkypinkycraft said...

Back again to say Thanks for joining us for quotes and or quotations challenge at countryviewcrafts challenge this month x Trace x Still gorgeous xx hugs x

Maelchen said...

Yep, you did it again! You stun me with your intricate work! I love your altered pencil case for its quote certainly. One thing, I will always connect to you, dear Alison: Words that go beyond the surface! This alone is reason enough already, to come and visit you here. But the crackled texture and design of your case is marvellous! I need to try this myself! That's my own challenge: Find this crackle paste...
Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial!
Greets, Manu

Maria said...

I love this Alison, from the colour you've used to all the texture. It's a really beautiful piece. Thank you for the inspiration, and the kick up the backside to get out my Grunge Paste at long, long last!

Maria xx