I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 16 June 2013

That Vintage Look

Hello everyone!  I was so happy to be invited back by Calico Crafts to do another Guest Spot this month, and here's the first of my two projects for June.  

I know some of you saw it yesterday over at the Calico Crafts blog (which I really recommend for a visit if you've never been - there's a fantastic regular DT sharing gorgeous inspirational makes), but I wanted to join in with The Button Challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show this week.  

So it's here a little earlier than it might otherwise have been, and there are a few extra photos!  And if you need another reason - it also serves as an additional nudge to come and play the Recipe Challenge over at Our Creative Corner.  I shared my actual DT piece - Embrace Imagination - yesterday, but as it happens this also fits the bill: from List A the lace, from List B the metal, and from List C the inks and paints.

Okay, enough with the links, onto the make...




I've loved the Kaisercraft texture stamps from way back at the beginning of my crafty journey, and I'm a big vintage fan, so when I saw the latest set of releases in the same size format, it was love at first sight.
















I've combined them here with Kraft tags from Ranger, some old book pages and lots of gesso and ink to create a canvas celebrating that vintage look!









It all started very simply: I glued some torn book pages to the kraft tags using multi-medium.  














Then I added a random area of gesso to each one.















I stamped the images using Staz-On black ink, and then used Distress Inks to give that aged look.







The tags are topped off with some Cotton Crochet Lace and Ivory Jute Twine.  I also added lace to the bottom of a couple of them.
















At this point, I was still working out what to do with my lovely tags - make them into a book? a hanging? an accordion wallet?





In the end, it turned out to be a match made in heaven when I found a long canvas tucked in a corner of my room (from The Works, I think, and at half price, a bargain £1.99!)







I stuck some more book pages to some grungeboard and used the Tim Holtz WordPlay die to cut out the lettering for my little phrase.







A touch more inking to give the letters a bit more of a distressed look, and an inky edging for the canvas itself and we're almost there...






I used some wooden flourishes from my stash (they're from Crafty Emblies) to give a bit more dimension to the piece.






The final touch was to add these fabulous metal buttons from Artemio - they're from the Oldies Vintage range, so they're perfect for a vintage look.












Because they're proper buttons, they've got quite substantial loops on the back, moulded from the same metal, so there's no cutting them off.







Instead, I used scissors to poke a hole in the canvas in the places where I wanted the buttons to go.






This would probably have held them in place perfectly well, but I added a dab of glue to each of them just in case!






Hope you like my celebration of the vintage look.  If you're tempted by any of the ingredients, you'll find the links below.

I'll be back with another project for Calico Crafts later in the month.  Do check out their store - there are lots of lovely and unusual stash goodies to be found!







Thanks so much for stopping by today.  Oh, and don't forget there're just a couple more days to sign up for my Blogaversary Candy.  Have a great week everybody!

Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Click on the links to go shopping:
Ranger Inkssentials Kraft Tags #8
Kaisercraft Vintage Texture Stamps: Bird Cage, Windsor, Perfume, 36, Coat Rack, Dress Form
Claudine Hellmuth Studio Gesso
Oldies Vintage Style Antique Buttons
Antique Ivory Cotton Crochet Lace
Ivory Jute Twine
Staz-On Ink Pad - Jet Black
Claudine Hellmuth Studio Matte Multi Medium
Tim Holtz Grungeboard
Book pages, Distress Inks and canvas from my stash

I'm just in time to enter this for The Button Challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show... only just!

49 comments:

ria gall said...

Hi Alison
what a fantastic combo a canvas and tags, it looks fantastic. The whole piece feels so very vintage and is so wonderful to look at. I love what you have done here, fantastic
Ria

Amanda said...

Alison such a great project that has In turn made a fabulous canvas that truly celebrates all things vintage, that you do so well
Love
Amanda x

Dianne said...

Looooooove it Alison,all that lovely brown, the lace, the stamping, the lovely wooden swirls, then the fabulous metal buttons, its a fabulous make, thanks for sharing my dear...

Inkypinkycraft said...

really scrummy! hugs trace x

sally said...

What a fab creation, it looks wonderful!

Sally

Yvonne Garner said...

Saw this yesterday and now again! Perfect ensemble! Loved it so much I've ordered most of the images! Love the black, white and Vintage Photo together, too. Bravo!

annes paperfun said...

Great tutorial!!!
Love it ♥♥♥
Hugs, Anne

Anonymous said...

A dream of a piece consisting of some of my favourite go to items:- Gesso (which of course we cannot live without!), tags and book pages.
Quite a gorgeous creation to say the very least.
Wishes
Lynne

Bonnie Irvine said...

Alison, sorry I've been MIA. This canvas is gorgeous. I love the combination of wood, metal, lace, and book text. What an awesome way to display those tags and celebrate vintage. Love the use of the text on the letters as well as the background. Beautiful vintage palette, too.

Rita said...

Well Alison, this is pure vintage and it's gorgeous. Who would not love to have a piece like this adorning their home. Thank you so much for the superb tutorial too. Enjoy your Day. Hugs Rita xxxxx

Julia said...

You have excelled yourself with this project, it is fabulous. So fabulous that I feel I am going to have to steal the book text and gesso on Kraft tag idea! Brilliant work.

Mrs.B said...

Hi Alison, Fabulous piece.
Gorgeous combination of images and textures.
Avril xx

Claudia N. said...

Seems quite obvious who will make Top3 with the Button-Challenge then ;)

A wonderful make, Alison!

I love all of it - especially the format with those awesome tags in a row!

Hugs,
Claudia x

catherine said...

This just looks so beautiful Alison and love the natural look to it
x catherine

toni said...

Totally love this ! Fabulous vintage style love the use of book paper and the stamps you've chosen
Toni x

Netty said...

I loved this gorgeous vintage canvas when I first saw it Alison, thank you for a second look, fab. Annette x

Jenny Marples said...

What a very clever way of displaying these beautiful vintage tags. Love the paired back look of them to show the stamped images to their very best. Hugs, Jenny x

House of Bears said...

We love your celebration of vintage, but even more than that, we really love that you detail how you achieved each effect, as it gives us ideas and inspiration. Lovely make as usual.

Maura said...

This is gorgeous!!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

This must be vintage love, Alison :-))))
What a great idea, and it looks amazing!

kind regards, Alie :-)

Dagmar said...

wow - fantastic!!!! I love it so much!!!!!!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's a fantastic project - great details on every tag.

Monique said...

Wow, stunning. Love those dainty flourishes and the buttons are to die for! Beautiful, such a lucky find that canvas, they fit perfectly =)
xx

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh, Alison, I adore this! Stunning in every way... just dreamy, my friend!

Kate Yetter said...

I love how you made this so vintagy and distressed. Your signature neutral palette is perfect for this and as lovely as always.
Kate

scrappymo! said...

How I love the vintage, shabby chic look of this creation. Gorgeous!

Keren Tamir said...

Amazing project as always!! I feel like I always say the same thing but its all true.

Candy C said...

Wow Alison! Your "Love That Vintage Look" canvas is absolutely stunning. What a clever way to use kraft tags, gesso and those lovely Kaisercraft stamps. The bits of lace and the METAL BUTTONS...love the buttons...are such perfect embellishments. I really love the book text and gesso behind the images. That is such a cool background and those stamps really pop. GORGEOUS piece! Thanks for sharing not only your work but the "how to" with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Nan G said...

Love this piece! So simple yet so striking! Cream and brown my fave colors too. The delicate wood flourishes and the chunky metal buttons were the perfect compliments to your tags! Think I need to look closer at that Word Play die, love the shape of those letters.

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

OMG the restrain the elegance and the beauty shines through Alison on this gorgeous piece!

Anna-Karin said...

Beautiful canvas Alison! Love all those tags with the great images and all the special touches and pretty buttons. Great sentiment too! Thank you for sharing your button ideas with us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Margie said...

Oh Alison, this is just gorgeous and I love it when you explain how you've made things - that really encourages me to have a go. You make it sound so "do-able" and I'm definitely inspired to try something like this. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. Love Margie x

Tincan Crafter said...

I love the Kaiser Craft line of stamps too. The recipe challenge sounds really interesting and I have holidays coming up so I might have to give that a try to fill the time. I loved your tags the other day and am loving them ever more today.

Gerrie Johnnic said...

You always amaze me in your art, and this is a definite "wow"!

Renee said...

So cool and inspirational! Love what you did here.

craftytrog said...

Inspirational as ever! This is simply stunning Alison xx

Victoria said...

Another terrific creation! I bet your house is overflowing with lovely vintage makes!

Sue said...

This is brilliant Alison, I love how you've stamped over your die cut letters xx

Lisa Minckler said...

It's beautiful and for me, gave me the impression of one of those partition walls that you change behind and with the old vintage style stamping, that fit perfectly with my imagination. What you've created here is gorgeous. :)

Sarah said...

Fabulous!! I really "love that vintage look".

froebelsternchen said...

AMAZING Alison!

Brenda Brown said...

Beautifully vintage and I love the processes you took us through to achieve these wonderful masterpieces. TFS.
hugs Brenda xxx

Minxy said...

Absolutely stunning xo

Tracy said...

Alison this is simply stunning....adore the way you do the vintage feel to your projects...inspirational!!
Hugs
Tracy
xoxox

Kezzy said...

Oh wow wow wow amazing gorgeous tag canvas. I so love the vintage feel, it's amazing how lack of colours can still make it pop, the browns are stunning. Love the vintage buttons and all the lace yummy :-) hugs Kezzy xxx

Karen Petitt said...

Absolutely awesome creation, thank you so much for sharing this - you have inspired me to attempt some vintage crafting hugs Karen

Bärbel said...

Ein großartiges Kunstwerk, liebe Alison! Die Leinwand mit den Tags und all' den wunderbaren Stempeln - ich bin ganz begeistert!

Maria said...

I did say I would be back...this caught my eye a couple of nights ago. What a gorgeous creation this is, I LOVE those stamps and will definitely be following that link! I hope you have this on your wall :-).

Maria xxxxx

Sarn said...

SIMPLY STUNNING . . . I am thinking about starting an Art Journal for the very first time and am glad I found your blog. Very inspiring things going on here . . . your're extremely creative. LOVE this vintage look.

xxx