I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 18 June 2013

Industrial Flower Power

Hello all, and welcome to Words and Pictures where it's time for the new fortnightly challenge theme at Fun With ATCs... and this time it's Flowers.

I know that will be music to the ears of many of you, so I hope you'll be able to find time to play along... it's only 2.5 x 3.5 inches of creation, after all!  There's lots of inspiration from my amazing teammates right here, and let me share mine with you now.


I'm playing on that Sixties' phrase "flower power", but there's no hippy dippy stuff round here - it's full on industrial power, and industrial grunge florals!  Because of the patina on the petals, they change a lot according to the light, so I've given you several variations of location!




I started with some heavy duty greyboard and cut it with the Tim Holtz ATC die - is there nothing these dies won't cut?!

I covered it with metal foil tape, and pounced alcohol inks in all sorts of rusty colours all over it.




Then I ran it through the Diamond Plate embossing folder.  Slightly sticky moment part way through the BigShot as I wondered whether, even with one flap fewer than suggested in my sandwich, I might have given it too much to do; but slow and steady won the race.

A coat of black acrylic paint came next, which I then rubbed back to reveal some of the colour beneath.  And finally some touches of DecoArt Quinacridone Gold translucent paint - fabulous rusty glow to this one.  I'm pretty happy with the "urban decay" look.










I considered using a cola can for the flowers, as I've done before, but then I thought I'd like to enter the Stampotique Faux Metal challenge, so I played with black cardstock instead.  


I started by giving it a hefty spritzing with Pewter Perfect Pearls mist, which already gives a pretty cool metallic look on the black card.









Then I used the Tattered Flower Garland decorative strip die on it, and ran the resulting flowers through the Riveted Metal embossing folder.

I added some small cogs and gears (some Idea-ology, some 7 Gypsies) and fastened them with the Mini Fasteners - so cool with the tiny screw heads.







I rubbed on black paint and Quinacridone Gold with my fingertips until I had a distressed look that pleased me.  And the mini fasteners got a touch of the QG too.  

It wasn't until I was looking at the photos on the computer that I realised that in some of the pictures  the petals are so reflective that they're picking up the bright green of the ivy around them - an extra bit of decay that I'm not responsible for!  





The words are Idea-ology Alpha Parts to which I added a very light dusting of Ranger Antiquities Rust embossing powder.  

If you heat the Alpha Parts enough, they start to melt and twist a little bit, which I think works brilliantly for the sense of decay that I was after.





I can't wait to see what you come with for the Flowers challenge at Fun With ATCs... you have a whole fortnight to play from today - so do come and join in.


As usual on a Tuesday, I'm also over at Artistic Outpost today, so I'll hope maybe to see you there, or somewhere out there in Craftyblogland - thanks so much for stopping by!

He is happiest who hath power to gather wisdom from a flower.
Mary Howitt

I'd like to enter this in the Faux Metal challenge the Stampotique Designers Challenge.  Although the background is foil tape and the gears are metal, the flowers themselves are faux!
And at the Country View Crafts' Challenge they want to see Die Cuts - I've got the ATC die and the Tattered Flower Garden decorative strip die both in action here.

60 comments:

Helen said...

What an awesome grungy flower power look, I love it.

barbarayaya62 said...

Alison your works are always inspirational for me!I love metal and grungy flower are stunning!!!!! Barbarayaya

Margaret said...

Love the metal twist to your flower power ATC! Absolutely fabulous!

A friend of mine is looking for a diamond plate ef. I was wondering where you found yours...

Inkypinkycraft said...

I love this industrial look and these flowers nd letters are fab against your textured background! Love t! Trace x

Rita said...

Magnificent creation on something so small. The detail is wonderful. Enjoy your Day Alison. Hugs Rita xxx

froebelsternchen said...

just AWESOME Alison!

sally said...

What glorious "urban decay" flowers you've created!

Sally

chrissie said...

What great ATC--I love the use of the foil tape and the way you have altered it to look rusty.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie x

Deborah said...

So much fabulousness on one small piece of card. I love this!

Chrissy said...

WOW!! Fantastic Alison..it is like mini Steampunk perfection..love the technique and colours...brilliant.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Von said...

Fabulous inspiration Alison ! love your ATC :)
Von ♥

Brenda Brown said...

Sensational Alison the industrial flowers are fabulous and the colours and textures really hit the spot.
hugs Brenda xxx

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning! Totally love all the different metal effects you have achieved, the rusty letters top it off just perfectly. Delicious ATC!! :)

Amanda said...

Flowers with a fabulous twist, loving the steampunk style. Absolutely fab!!
Love
Amanda x

Neet said...

Love the industrial look - now call me silly but it took me back to the Olympic Opening Ceremony for a moment. Grunge is always a favourite of mine and this fab piece shows you can master any style.
Hugs, Neet xx

Neet said...

Love the industrial look - now call me silly but it took me back to the Olympic Opening Ceremony for a moment. Grunge is always a favourite of mine and this fab piece shows you can master any style.
Hugs, Neet xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Great rusty, old look...and so many nice layers and texture...you did great again Alison!

kind regards, Alie :-)

brenda said...

So tactile Alison and as always bursting with inspiration.

B x

Claudia N. said...

Gosh, Alison,

this is definitely my favourite among your awesome ATCs! A stunning make with such a terrific industrial feel to it! Brilliant!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning Alison! Fabulous results from great techniques. Beautiful, I admire your creativity so much! Chris xxx

Netty said...

loving the rusty grunge look you have created Alison and its a fab design. Annette x

Unknown said...

Back again Alison, for CVC. I'm amazed at what you manage to achieve with ATCs, this is awesome. Thanks for joining us this month at Country View Challenges. Chris xxx

Redanne said...

Fabulous industrial feel to your ATC Alison, so much texture and great techniques. I think this is my favourite of your ATCs (so far!)- so very impressive. Hugs, Anne x

Hettie said...

What beautiful rustic flower power you have created Alison. And all on a small piece! Clever!
xx

Lisa Minckler said...

Oh my goodness, these metal flowers are gorgeous! I'm almost certain I couldn't kill them ;) I love the play on words with this concept. It's fantastic and has such a large presence for such a small creation. Very nicely done :)

House of Bears said...

Wow, we really love the way you've made this look so industrial but also so beautiful too. We may have to search and see if we have an ATC sized canvas to join in with this challenge. Thanks for your inspiration.

toni said...

Fantastic rusty metal effect you've acheived here! Looks like it's been weathered for an age, fabulous detail on such a small space great work Alison x

Krisha said...

Awesome ATC!! Love the rustict metal look.

Monique said...

Wow, love your ATC and your take on flowers! =)
xx

Carol Q said...

ooh lovely Alison - really grungy, rough and rusty and by gum - you packed all that into an ATC! lol.

Paper Profusion said...

Fantastically textured and tactile Alison. It looks absolutely scrummy! Nicola x

Sarah said...

A really cool marriage of two eras. Creative and fun!

Unknown said...

Wooooooooooooow,cool,fantastic

Dianne said...

Glorious in all its Rustiness, oh how wonderful, different variations, exciting:)I got some shiny silver tape ready for a play day on the weekend with the girls, I'll be embossing some, this is a perfect post for me:).Those product you're using to color them is awesome, gold translucent sounds and looks fabulous, those flowers, they look like real metal not faux, fantastic work,what did I read,fantastically textured, I love that, describes it perfectly,okay that Ranger Antiquities Rust embossing powder is there nothing that man doesn't make, it looks freaking awesome on the letters. All of this in a little ATC, outstanding Miss Butterfly, I'm off to see the other ATC, thanks for sharing your incredibleness, ^-^.. Have a wonderful day..

Matilde said...

It's gorgeous!

Fliss said...

A stunning grungy industrial look Alison and great texture.
Awesome art you've been creating lately and sorry to be awol too (feet hardly touching the ground lol)
Hugs, Fliss xx

Sue said...

It's a fabulous ATC Alison, I love the rustiness, especially on the letters. Thanks so much for joining in with us at Stampotique DC. Sue xx

Cocofolies said...

Just wanted to tell you that I find it wonderful - as most of your projects I think ! -, all details are fabulous wow...! Coco

Terry said...

Loving that "Flower Power." Awesome faux metal and so much detail on a little piece! Hugs!

catherine said...

This is fantastic Alison and just love the look of it. I would love to make ATC's so will have to look at the link for some inspiration
x catherine

Tracy said...

Oh my giddy aunt..small maybe but totally a work of art Alison!!
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxox

cathylynn said...

I love this! It would be hard to guess that this isn't metal. Wow you sure outdid yourself on this ATC. Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Kezzy said...

Wo . So loving this ATC, the embossing is gorgeous and the flowers super funky. Hugs :-) Kezzy xxx

Elly said...

Awesome! What a paint, colouring and die treatment for a little atc, but oh...it's so worth it (:o) The nearly unspeakable QG makes it perfect for my fav rust patina.

Debi said...

It looks soooooo much like metal, rusty metal, cool :) debi x

Reflective Art Studio said...

WOW... you did an amazing job on this. WoW. xoxo
Thank you for sharing your creations with us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge.
xx
Sarinda

Ephemera said...

Hi Alison, for such a tiny piece of crafting, it packs a mighty punch, in all it's rusty industrial chic beauty, fab piece of crafting. XX

May said...

Fabulous ATC Alison, it's packed full of wonderful layers & texture... Love those flowers... Hugs May x x x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Grungerific!!!!! I love every rusted bit! The contrast of industrial meets soft flower along with the perfect sentiment make this ATC exceptional!

Kay Wallace said...

This is an absolutely amazing ATC! Who would even suspect that flowers and metal might go together, especially so well! Brilliant work!

craftytrog said...

It's fantastic Alison! xxx

Bärbel said...

Wow, wie großartig und der "rostige Hintergrund und die Schrift - ein Traum!

Bärbel said...

Wow, wie großartig und der "rostige Hintergrund und die Schrift - ein Traum!

Bärbel said...

Wow, wie großartig und der "rostige Hintergrund und die Schrift - ein Traum!

Marjie Kemper said...

Spectacular metal creation, Alison! I can't get over how small this space is yet the POP it makes!!

Julie Lee said...

Beautiful project. Very original! Julie Ann x

Sandy said...

Wonderful - I just want to reach out and touch it so bad I could spit!
sandy

Mrs.B said...

A wonderful grungy look to this, and the flowers look stunning.
Avril xx

Kasia said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Love that industrial look of your ATC :)

Kaz said...

This is stunning Alison! Thanks for joining us at Stampotique.