I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 21 May 2013

Just a little recycling...

Hello all, and a warm welcome to Words and Pictures.  It's the start of a new challenge over at Fun With ATCs, and we'd like to see some Recycling on your tiny creations - ATCs of 2.5 x 3.5 inches, please, and no more!

There's lots of inspiration from my brilliant team-mates, so I hope you'll have time to hop over and check it all out... but here's my starter for ten.



BIG surprise, I chose to use some corrugated cardboard for my make!  

But not only is the background made of it, but the butterfly is made out of the paper that I peeled off it, and the flowers are stencilled onto the same stuff, so it's a double use of the materials!

The beautiful flower stencil is one of Ellie Knol's wonderful new designs for Magenta - there's a matching stamp too... well worth a look.  

The cardboard was salvaged from a crafty package (yes, one of many!).







Having ripped the paper layer off and set it to one side, I gave the card a rough and random coat of gesso, and then did a bit of stamping right on the ridges using the gorgeous script from the Tim Holtz Apothecary set.  I also added Walnut Stain and Vintage Photo distress inks for definition.


The butterfly is cut using the Movers and Shapers die, and also given the gesso and stamping treatment, before being stapled with one of the tiny attachers.





I used gesso with Ellie's template too, stencilling it on to the ripped-off paper.  The gesso gives a lovely texture to the image.  Then I sprinkled a very light dusting of Vintage Photo distress embossing powder across it, for a rusty look.  

The edges of the cardboard paper have been inked to show off the torn texture, and I stamped and then doodled over the words "new life" - a butterfly out of a caterpillar, an ATC out of an old cardboard box.

We'd love to see what old things you'll give fresh life to, so do come and play at Recycling with us... see you there!






(How short was that post?!  For me, I mean, at least...  I hope maybe that means you might have time to pop over and visit my Artistic Outpost offering today - sneak peek to the right, here - it would be lovely to "see you there" too!)

For now, happy crafting, and I hope to catch up with some of my visiting over the next couple of days... 

We are not to throw away those things which can benefit our neighbor. Goods are called good because they can be used for good: they are instruments for good, in the hands of those who use them properly.
Clement of Alexandria

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. 
New England proverb


35 comments:

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow, what a beautiful ATC just made with recycling material, I love it very much, the butterflies is so beautiful !!

Greetings
Maria

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous Alison, such a rustic feel with the brown corrugated card and gesso and the little butterfly is beautiful, it gives a feeling of the bark of a tree trunk to me.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Chris said...

So beautiful Alison, I love the rusty, rustic feel of your ATC and the white on kraft is one of my favourite colour schemes. Your green tag looks gorgeous too. Chris xx

Helen said...

you get such good results with your tearing of the cardboard, I just make a mess!! I love the buttefly.

brenda said...

Such a wonderfully rustic feel Alison and so very tactile.

B x

Astrid Maclean said...

Rustic seems to be the word here... specially love the butterfly from the thin layer, makes for a great contrast!

Ellie Knol said...

I especially like the butterfly! Thanks for mentioning 'me' ... It's not released officially yet (grin). We had a big stamping event here in Holland, so Magenta took it with them so they could 'release' it here..

Paper Profusion said...

Perfect rustic vintage Alison! Popping over to see the gorgeous green one... Nicola x

Inkypinkycraft said...

I love corrugated card, love the browns and neutrals a....and lovethis! Hugs trace x

House of Bears said...

We love the way you repurpose items. You inspired us to buy corrugated card as we love what you do with it. Now we want to go and create.

craftytrog said...

Both pieces are gorgeous Alison! I have a thing for corrugated card too!
Alison x

Dianne said...

Hey Alison, you had me at recycling :O). Brilliant use of the cardboard, I'm glad I;m in good company, I just can't throw any of it away it is getting a little crowded in my studio LOL. I love the butterfly genus that is. All those browns get me excited, thanks for sharing and always inspiring me, going to see the Bird song oh yes tweet tweet....

cathylynn said...

Your tag is awesome! Love the way that you recycle. You are great inspiration!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Hettie said...

This is gorgeous Alison! Very inspirational (and relatively cheap!).
Hugs
xx

Kate Yetter said...

Already visited AO and commented on your tag. Love your atc. Its a great recycled project. Love all that corrigated cardboard!
kate

Kate Yetter said...

Already visited AO and commented on your tag. Love your atc. Its a great recycled project. Love all that corrigated cardboard!
kate

Krisha said...

Stunning ATC and such a great up-cycle project!

Sandy said...

I always enjoy your posts Alison and really appreciate you giving such nice tutorials. You have a great record of what you have done and how you accomplished it. Wonderful!
Sandy

pearshapedcrafting said...

Now that is one amazing piece of recycling - love the butterfly! Chrisx

Dorthe said...

Beautifully reuse of cardboard, dear Alison, and with a most wonderful result. Love the "simple" colours and teh butterfly and gessoed flower!
Will go see your -teaser- now :-)
xo,Dorthe

Rita said...

I love what you've done Alison. Very artistic artistic too. Hugs Rita xxxxx

Baroque duJour said...

gotta love those cardboard boxes, fantastic transformation and love the simplicity of white with it - butterfly is way cool. love it. great job.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely natural rustic feel,to,this Alison. Great movement and dimension from the butterflies. Love the texture too . Tracy x

Carol Q said...

very clever Alison and very natural feel to it.

Netty said...

Recycling.....fabulous subject and loving your gorgeous results Alison. Am off to visit Artistic Outpost now.
Hugs Annette x

Redanne said...

Gorgeous texture and dimension Alison, love the rustic feel it has. Hugs, Anne x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Great ....recycling the recycled corrugated cardboard Alison :-)
Great use of all the parts, it looks so creative.

kind regards, Alie :-)

AngelicaS said...

I love the recycle theme, you created a beautiful ATC and I really love the butterfly!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Your recycling is amazing...love the kraft! The butterfly is beautiful!

barbarayaya62 said...

I'm in love with kraft , you really are wonderful to work with these colors! BArbarayaya

Nan G said...

Awesome recycling, butterfly!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wonderful creations.

Sue said...

A lovely ATC Alison with such a warm natural feel to it xx

Unknown said...

It's hard to believe this is an ATC, very creative. Love the feel of it. Chris xxx

Faye said...

Your kraft paper art is beautiful. I love the way the butterfly stands out. This is a great technique that you have used. Thanks for visiting my blog. I usually get to all the DT and most of the entries but somehow I must have missed yours before.