I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Saturday 23 March 2013

Who hid the chocolate?

Hello everyone, and welcome back after a short break in the relentless posting (sorry!).  This post should be good and short (for me) too.

I'm here to share my version of Tim Holtz's March tag.  Tim's inspiration tag is amazing (of course) and it took me a lot of failed goes to get something I was happy with... but now I am, even though it's travelled quite a way from the original.

The main "problem" that needed solving was that I don't have the bunny die.  I tried the butterflies and the hearts I do have, but it didn't seem to be going right.  I tried hand-cutting a rabbit, with some pretty "meh" results.

In the end, it was Beatrix Potter who came to my rescue, in the shape of one of the illustrations from the Nicecrane Designs Peter Rabbit Save Pack (sorry to those of you in the UK: for copyright reasons you're not allowed to buy these; the rest of you can knock yourselves out!).  I used these on my Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit triptych, so you may remember they are coloured images.

I altered the image to create an enlarged sepia (or shall we say chocolate-coloured?) version, and then I was away!

I mounted the rabbit on chipboard, cut it with the Alterations Labels die, and inked with Vintage Photo for a deeper sheen.



From there, it's fairly faithful to the rest of what Tim did...

Another breakthrough for me was switching papers.  I love the seasonal ones but for some reason it just wasn't clicking for me this time.








I suddenly remembered the gorgeous Suchard paper from the Vintage Shabby Paper Stash.  So chocolate won the day!

Using the 6x6 version, and making sure "chocolat" was on there, meant there wasn't quite enough to cover the tag, but I knew that would be okay because of the grasses at the foot of the tag.

(Also wanted a quick pic here, as I'm always sad when I'm covering up something this pretty!)






I handcut my grasses and - poor things - they've been so many different colours and flipped round so many times in my different versions, in addition to travelling all the way across Europe in a half-finished state, that they're a little bedraggled now.  They still add great dimension, I think.










I love Tim's metal flowers painted with Distress Paints (think DPs on metal is one of my favourite uses of them I've seen).












I've got a few DP colours (guess what shades?!), and they fitted in well with the paper - Broken China, Weathered Wood, and edged with Vintage Photo - but had to add a couple of ordinary acrylics for the stems and leaves (Peeled Paint is on the way...).








And the ribbons are obviously dyed to suit the new colour scheme which had turned up.






And look, it's even got a decorative back from one of my failed attempts!!







The sentiment popped straight up out of the expression on the rabbit's face... although if anyone knows where the chocolate is hidden, it should be the Easter Bunny.  I guess all the eggs are somewhere under all that snow!




Oh, okay, not that short then, sorry - I do try!  Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by.  Hope you're having a wonderful weekend doing whatever it is that brings you joy!

I'm entering this as my March tag in Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2013.

What do you get if you pour boiling water down a rabbit hole?
Hot Cross Bunnies

How can you tell where the Easter Bunny has been?
Eggs marks the spot

Why did the Easter Bunny cross the road?
Because the chicken had all his Easter eggs



P.S.  Well, I'm afraid my short post has been blown out of the water!




We visited the farmer's market (farmářský trh - that final 'h' to be pronounced on a hard exhalation, a touch softer than the 'ch' in a Scottish 'loch'; and I'm not even going to start on what that diacritic over the 'r' does to the tip of your tongue - just part of what I'm up against with the Czech language!) in the village this morning, and there was the most amazing local crafter there, Andrea Weckova, creating absolute works of art out of duck and goose eggs.











She was working on decorating the eggs on the stall, adding the dimension you can see on some of them, and painting some, and showed me how she marked up the eggs to start with.









She had one special cutting tool (which she couldn't demonstrate in action as there was no power point), and another for carving/moulding, so I think you probably couldn't just leap in with a chisel!








We bought one to add to our collection of beautifully painted Bohemian eggs (well over forty years old - amazing they're still around at all!), and I just had to add this postscript to today's post, with the Easter tag, and I'll take the opportunity, in advance, to wish you all a very happy Easter.



65 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous tag Alison, love the rabbit and the background. Ow Alison those painted and carved eggs are gorgeous, wish we could get something like them here, I love them. Haag Easter and Spring to you too (Spring who am I kidding with snow outside lol). Tracy x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Happy Easter even x x

Claudia N. said...

Thank you, Alison,

Happy Easter to you too! :)

These eggs are really stunning! Your tag is too btw. ;)

Hugs,
Claudia x

Astrid Maclean said...

Great take on the Timmy tag and those eggs look amazing!!

Yvonne Garner said...

Just love you tag! Always brightens my day to see a post from you, Alison. Thanks for sharing the Bohemian egg pics, too. Take care.

Netty said...

Loving your bunny tag Alison. Thank you for showing these beautifully carved eggs. Have seen a lot of decorated duck eggs over the last week but never a carved one....so thank you. Hugs Annette x

sam21ski said...

Hi Alison, sincere apologies for not commenting much but not been well.

Fabulous tag but wow indeed what fantastic eggs - gorgeous, no wonder you had to have one!!

Sam xxx

Annie said...

Love your take on Tim's tag Alison x gorgeous image you have used too x

Beautiful eggs too! Hugs

Annie x

Rita said...

Fabulous tag Alison. Those beautiful eggs are a work of art. TFS. Hugs Rita xx

maj. said...

Just gorgeous!!! I love all your Easter creations!!!!

Helen said...

Alison, your Tim tag is just gorgeous, (dare I say it, better than it would have been with the rabbit die...) and as for those eggs - wow!! what a talent Andrea has.

barbarayaya62 said...

FAb EAster tag Alison!!!! Love the colors and bunny is so sweet!

Terry said...

With my clumsy hands, I would smash those eggs! So delicate and detailed! I think the Easter Bunny ate the chocolate!!!! Love your take on Tim's March tag and what an adorable rabbit! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs!

Ana K. said...

Great take on Tim’s tag. I love rabbit image and saying is just perfect for me! :)
If you like those fab eggs, please take a look to this link http://hearttoexplain.com/2011/04/24/egg-art/
An amazing artist Mr. Franc Grom from Slovenia.
Hugs

Olivia said...

What a beautiful tag. I like the colors and the way you made the ribbon!

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous tag and a great take on the Timmy Tag. Those eggs look amazing, one very clever lady to do that!
Happy Easter to you too.
Avril xx

House of Bears said...

Well we just read the word chocolate and dashed right over. We"re glad we did though, your bunny is fab, as it the grass, the background effects, the sentiment....

Janny Jager said...

Beautiful tag Alison with great stamps ,colors and details
I also love the egs

Greetings Janny

Inkypinkycraft said...

A great tale on tims tag, love the image and its suits the colours perfectly! A gorgeous make hugs trace x
The eggs are stunning..

Amanda said...

What a fab take on Tims Tag (I really must join in with this challenge). I agree with everyone on those carved eggs how beautiful and unusual
Love
Amanda x

Jennie Atkinson said...

Gorgeous tag Alison - I love the grasses and flowers, such gorgeous colours. And what fabulous carved eggs! Have a great weekend.

Chrissy said...

Your Easter egss are covered in snow and mine will have melted away...lol..and I love your tag Alison, love the bunny image and the metal flower..and those carved eggs are wonderful..

Luv CHRISSYxx

mark gould said...

how are things going with the opening? I dont know how your finding time to craft as well. A very sweet tag, the nicecrane design looks brilliant with the colour change.
x

brenda said...

The original Easter Bunny Alison, it all looks lovely with the flowers and ribbons, mind you if this snow continues he could have a few problems hiding them in the garden for the children.

B x

Deborah said...

The Easter tag is inspired (I really like that suchard chocolate background) and the rabbit's expression and the words really made me smile.

Sue said...

I love how you've interpreted Timmy's tag, your bunny is wonderful. Have a very happy Easter xx

Carol Q said...

don't apologise for the relentless posting Alison!that egg carving is something else. how clever. love your rabbit tag. he'll have trouble finding anything in this snow.

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, I love the bunny, he is so cute, great improvisation! Those Easter eggs are just gorgeous too. Hugs, Anne x

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison,
I love your sweet tag, the beautiful blue and "chocolate" together, little Peter Rabbit, and your wonderful flower garden, and grasses- I love they kind of dance , and your gorgeous colours in the flowers.
The eggs are stunning with the carved patterns.
Happy easter to you too!
xo,Dorthe

Anonymous said...

Fabulous tag Alison, the rabbit is gorgeous ! Thanks for sharing the wonderful egg decorating too, it looks amazing ! Sue C x

Julia S-W said...

Your tag is a little beauty Alison. I particularly love your rabbit image - he's gorgeous.
Those duck and goose eggs are just amazing; lucky you to find them!
Juliaxx

Brenda Brown said...

Love your interpretation of Tim's tag, the hare is a fabulous substitution. The eggs from the market look amazing, how wonderful to see the artist at work.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Nan G said...

Your tag is awesome! Those carved eggs are stunning! Such intricate work. Wow! thanks for sharing.

Laurart said...

Adore this! The words are perfect - So apt for the expression of the little bunny! I love the shabby chic flowers and all the elements come together so well. It sounds like you love Distress Paints. My first batch (six) will be arriving soon - Can you can guess which ones?! ;o) Lots of love from Laura xxxxxxx

catherine said...

You have done such a fantastic job Alison with the tag challenge. Love the image you have used and the colours. Those eggs look so delicate
x catherine

chrissie said...

Wonderful tag Alison--love the idea you used to make the grass.

The eggs are wonderful-thanks for sharing the photos

Love Chrissie xx

craftytrog said...

Gorgeous tag Alison, love the expression on Peter's face! TFS those amazing eggs too!
Alison xx

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Fabulous take on the tag Alison! Your looks really sweet :). And those eggs look so cool and fab! xx

May said...

Gorgeous tag Alison, Beautiful image!!, Those eggs look AmAzing... Hugs May x x x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

A great Easter tag Alison! And the egg carving looks amazing.
As well as your box of delights...sorry I'm far behing!

Kind regards and a nice Sunday, Alie :-)

Dawn Ruth said...

Well this is fab love the design so fresh and cute. Just great for Easter

Anonymous said...

Delicate, vintage, stunning illustration and chocolate - this has won my heart! That illustration is so fabulous. Adore the touch of grasses at the bottom.
Thank you for sharing this incredible talent of this artisan. I so enjoyed viewing those photographs.
Wishes
Lynne

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A very yummy tag - just fantastic. The Easter eggs are outstanding.

Neet said...

Lovely tag, that rabbit works perfectly for the Easter scene, love the grass.
The eggs, I used to do egg-craft years ago but nothing as intricate as this lattice work. Some of the things people do are amazing. Must say I do like the painted one especially.
Hugs, Neet xx

Unknown said...

Fabulous tag Alison, absolutely love it! The whole post is most entertaining and I can't help but giggle at the jokes. Brilliant!! Chris xxx

Sandy said...

The duck eggs are incredible - very talented lady. I envy you your European adventure. I used to live in Italy - so much art - so much history! Now for your beautiful tag, I hid the chocolate and very well too!
Sandy

Kezzy said...

Wow gorgeous tag, I'm the same I couldn't get a bunny cut right so I have ordered the die, I keep saying this is fine as it has a butterfly and a rabbit can be used for spring lol. Hoping it will arrive by Tuesday. I always get my dies from cutting edge crafts in skeggy, I used to go there when I had a caravan and they are still the cheapest plus free postage and it normally comes the next day lol. Those goose eggs are amazing I bet they were even better in real life. :-) Kezzy xxx

Debbie said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Love Peter Rabbit! Details are wonderful, including the back! Yummy! Beautiful eggs too! So delicate.

Wishes
Debbie
^..^

Dianne said...

See how things come together,now there perfect, amazing, okay the grass brilliant how good are they LOL..Rabbit does have that look on his face,fabulous creation my friend and so much fun. I love the eggs they are so beautiful, they are works of art thanks so much for sharing all of this. Hey Miss Butterfly I'd hate it if your post was short:):) have a fabulous day..

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Those eggs are special...good score! Your take on the March tag is fabby! Love the chocolate bit! Your rabbit is too cute! Excellent work!

Cocofolies said...

This is a wonderful tag... I love it, with this really cute bunny and your funny quote ! Very clever work derived from Tim Holz's one Butterfly, congrats to you. Coco x

Nicecrane Designs said...

Wowww Alison,,,sorry for the delay , i am having problem with my hear,,OMG, I love what you did with my Peter Rabbit pic,,,,,, , love the vintage effect, and all over the stunning grasses,,,,love it, love it,and these amazing flowers....my friend,,,,I envy your creativity. Happy Easter my friend.

Kate Yetter said...

So adorable, Alison! I love that bunny image and your fabulous take on Tim's tag.
Kate

Alexa said...

Love the story behind the tag - and it's a great end result despite all your trials along the way! x

maria's knutselplezier said...

What an amazing work of ART , I really love your very special eggs never saw somthing beautiful like this , wow, and your tag is amazing too!! Great work of AER!!

Greetings
Maria

Hettie said...

Oh Wow Alison. Firstly I love your tag (funny as I was watching Beatrix Potter last night!). I am always ticked off that we British cannot have BP images despite being a British thing!! I have the same issues with Silhouette too!!
Those Czech eggs are wonderful and I have seen them being worked on a few times. Once at the Easter fairs in Prague and also there is a shop in Prague, which if you are lucky enough you can catch the lady making them there. We have some we have bought and only one (mine) got broken when the box got thrown when we were burgled! We stuck most of it using some filler mousse!!
Sorry I have rambled a bit but you got me excited!!
Tee Hee
xx

Gio said...

Oh the card is so darn cute, Alison!

But the eggs...I would die for, brilliant!

Bonnie Irvine said...

Great take on the tag. I love the chocolate theme and that gorgeous rabbit illustration. beautiful colour scheme, too. Holy cow, those eggs are amazing. So intricate!

toni said...

Firstly thankyou for your kind words regarding my corrugated tag. I'm sure you can guess where I got the inspiration from.. Thankyou x I hadn't realised what a great medium it is. Love your March tag, such a fabulous vintage interpretation. Thanks also for sharing the egg decorating, how brilliant, I've been wanting to get my hands on an ostrich egg to decorate, they're quite expensive though so maybe a goose egg could be the answer. Hope all is good with the exhibition x

Bärbel said...

Das Oster-Tag ist großartig gestaltet und dekoriert. mein Kompliment, Alison.
Diese Ostereier sind wahre Kunstwerke, man glaubt, feinstes Porzellan vor sich zu haben.
Liebe Grüße, Bärbel

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is absolutely adorable!

Lucy x

Margaret said...

Ohhh...I think you really found the perfect combination with the 'chocolate' image and the chocolat paper! And those blue metal flowers?! Gorgeous!
I cannot imagine the detailed work that goes into making the egg art! Definitely would take a steady hand...

Jenny Marples said...

Fantastic tag resplendent with matching snow! A beautifully executed tag. What amazing eggs too. Bet you were transfixed watching these being worked on. Hugs, Jenny x

Kasia said...

Great tag! Cute rabbit :) Love the sentence :)))) And those eggs are really amazing!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!
F x