I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 26 March 2013

The Writing's on the Wall




Hello everyone - lovely to have you stop by here at Words and Pictures.  Today is the start of a new challenge over at Fun With ATCs, and our theme for this fortnight is Writing.


I'm here to share my little bit of inspiration, and there are wonderful ATCs from the rest of the team, as well as all the challenge details right here.


I really like this ATC - and I feel fine saying that for once, since my favourite bit was barely my doing at all: the background was created over several days of using up leftovers and mopping up spare ink and paint.













When I was creating my Background Noise accordion booklet, I experimented with binding the pages using tissue tape, but having taped it up using the lovely script tape from the Hobgoblin set, I decided it wasn't really working.

Well, I'm blowed if I'm going to waste all that lovely tissue tape, so I grabbed a nearby tag and carefully peeled it all off the accordion book and stuck it, slanting, onto the tag instead.

Over the following few days, there was quite a bit of spare ink and paint to be found on my craft mat (Box of Delights was another Gelli plate project, and that always creates lots of lovely mess!) and this tag was one of the ones used to mop up nice looking combinations of colours.

When I suddenly realised I needed an ATC for the Writing challenge... well, there was my background, all ready and waiting!






I knew I wanted to use the Tim Holtz script stamp from the Apothecary set - probably my favourite script stamp of all - so I stamped that on some textured handmade paper, and distressed it with some ripping, creasing and Vintage Photo DI.



I rolled the ends for a scroll effect and clipped it on with one of the adorable Idea-ology paper clips.









The pen nibs point the way to the Idea-ology Philosophy Tag - you can't escape your DESTINY... the writing is on the wall!

A little bit of dyed crinkle ribbon (also lying on the craft table after being discarded from another project), and my hastily put together ATC was good to go...

Do hope you'll find time to play along with us at Fun With ATCs... there have been so many amazing entries in recent weeks, and we'd love to see what you come up with for our Writing theme.







As it's Tuesday, I've also got a little something over at Artistic Outpost today... if you've time to pop over and take a look, that would be lovely.

For now though, I'll wish you all a great day, and leave you in peace!  Thanks so much for your visit.





I can't hear the phrase "the writing's on the wall" without thinking of this song lyric:
The night is bitter,
The stars have lost their glitter,
The winds grow colder
And suddenly you're older,
And all because of the man that got away.
No more his eager call,
The writing's on the wall,
The dreams you dreamed have all
Gone astray.
From The Man That Got Away (lyrics Ira Gershwin, music Harold Arlen), perhaps Judy Garland's finest moment...

44 comments:

Yvonne Garner said...

Hi Alison, Your ATC is a knockout. Love how you salvaged the tissue tape! Hope all is well.

Inkypinkycraft said...

A really great ATC , love the colours over the tissue tape. A really fab atc! Thanks forthe kind words on my blog, things are same really..hugstrace x hope all is going well there for you xx

maj. said...

Brilliant ATC!!! I especially like the vintage colours!

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...it's amazing just how much detail can be packed into a small space and you do it with great style Alison, a super ATC, great colours, techniques, and love your background too...Melxx :)

Amanda said...

Love the ATC and the fact that it is mostly leftovers which just goes to show why we never throw anything away!
Love
Amanda x

Helen said...

Wow, I love it!! I always knew it was right to keep everything...

Chris said...

Superb Alison and such a beautiful background to your ATC and tag! Love all those gorgeous details and the little pen nibs look fantastic. Chris x

chrissie said...

Wonderful ideas on this little work of art. Love the way you made the background--I have lots of card with splashes and dabs on so must have a look through those to see if any are useful.

Always at tip or two at Words and Pictures lol

Love Chrissie xx

Claudia N. said...

Gorgeous ATC, Alison!

And I especially love the "Making of" this time! Very inspiring to read and to behold.

Hugs,
Claudia x

froebelsternchen said...

oh wow .. this is just adorable! I love it..and I really adore this little easter bunny tag below too ( once again)


happy easter dear Alison....
a big hug!

xxx
Susi

Deborah said...

Waste not, want not certainly paid off here - it's fabulous!

Brenda Brown said...

Gorgeous colours and elements here Alison. I love the fact that you haven't wasted anything and your left overs and unwanted tape have become a masterpiece.
hugs {brenda} x0x

brenda said...

Thanks for the great inspiration Alison, I really feel I should make some tags, it's something I so rarely do.

B x

House of Bears said...

What a great ATC, absolutely love the scroll letter, wonderful.

craftytrog said...

A stunning ATC Alison, & I've already seen those gorgeous paperboys! Thanks for the inspiration!
Alison xx

Nan G said...

Fab background! Great way to use leftovers!

Dianne said...

INSPIRATION galore, I love using the ink sccraps and how perfectly it worked for you here, its a beautiful tag, love the nibs, thanks fo sharing Miss Alison, have a great day and heading over to Artistic Outpost.. Big hugs..

Hettie said...

Great ATC there Alison. Love all the different writing articles you used. Had to laugh at your not wasting the tissue tape! Another thing we have in common! I always cringe when I see TH using it on the back of his rosettes!!!! Why???? Masking tape will do as no one will see it!
Exactly how much stuff did you take to Czech to craft with?
Tee hee!
Hugs
xx

Lisa Somerville said...

Beautiful ATC, so many wonderful details! Love the rolled script with the added quill tip!

Terry said...

You make leftovers look delicious! Beautiful ATC with fabulous details as always! Happy Tuesday! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Oh this is so gorgeous, just love it.

Moira xx

Sarah said...

I think some of the best backgrounds are made by mopping up our messes. Your bg proves my point. Love it!

Redanne said...

A very stylish and beautiful little piece of art Alison. Hugs, Anne x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A wonderful ATC, great details. Love the use of the pen nib.
Also your paperboy diptych looks fantastic.

Kate Yetter said...

Gorgeous background! Sometimes the unplanned turn out to be the best. Love it, Alison.

Anonymous said...

A girl after my own heart as I do not like wasting any little thing either!
Wonderful background and that little scroll of paper is a delight.
Wishes
Lynne

Bonnie Irvine said...

The background looks wonderful...great save! Love the way you featured that script stamp. The nibs and philosophy tag are lovely details. Lots to enjoy on this little piece of art.

Kezzy said...

Wowser I would love to play with your craft mat after you have been playing lol. Stunning ATC, I love the scroll and the splodge effect is amazing. :-) hugs Kezzy xxx

Bärbel said...

Von diesen Werken bin ich wieder total begeistert!

Sue said...

Wonderful Alison, I love this script stamp xx

Paper Profusion said...

Positively inkylicious Alison - gorgeous work and so glad you recycled so much. Nicola x

Dagmar said...

It´s so fantastic!!!!

Netty said...

terrific ATC Alison, xx

Dorthe said...

The mobbed up colours makes a wonderful background, dear Alison,-so beautiful, and the script stamp makes the torn paper looks real old -
A gorgeous tag.
xo,Dorthe

May said...

Gorgeous ATC, the background is amazing.. love the colours Alison, & the script stamp is perfect...Hugs May x x x

craftimamma said...

Love your wonderful ATC Alison and even more so for using all those beautiful leftovers. Anything with script/word stamps gets my vote and this one is quite special.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Candy C said...

Alison... Your ATC is so cool! I love the writing team. You have done such a gorgeous job of making your tag and ATC work so well with the theme. Your work is always so beautiful. It is always so well thought out. It is always so beautifully crafted. Thank you so much for the very sweet comments you left on my blog. I so admire your work. I am humbled that you think so highly of my work. Hugs, Candy

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Love how your atc came to be, and using the gelli plate no less. Amazed me that you cut it from the middle. I would have used the end. I like that about you!!! Love the paper and pen nib too...great additions! Fab atc!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Fabulous ATC Alison. Love the background and the additions are just super. Thanks for the link to the challenge site - am off to have a look as I love ATCs.

Janny Jager said...

Amazing ATC Alison.really very very beautiful.
Lovely details.

Greetings Janny

mark gould said...

beautifully thought out Alison. Great re use of the tape, I hate throwing stuff like that out, Its so damn expensive ;)
lovely atc x

Keren Tamir said...

Fantastic atc Alison!!! Love the script amazing job!!!

Margaret said...

Well, I thought this was wonderful before reading the details, but now I am so impressed with the creation of the background!
I hate wasting things, and often hang on to some of the oddest collections of scraps in the hopes that inspiration will strike!
Your inky tape background is so perfect for the theme and the pen nibs are the perfect embellishment!

Jenny Marples said...

What a great way to 'save' some of your hard work and transform it into this little gem. Hugs, Jenny x