I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 15 March 2013

Little Boy Blue



Hello all and welcome to another piece inspired by the latest Artistic Outpost release PaperBoy.  

This one is a layered tag, and - for those in shock after the recent rash of orange and green projects here at Words and Pictures - you'll be relieved by yesterday's return to my favoured palette of browns and now blues!

This little guy with his bare feet (too poignant even to be on display here - but you'll see them in the next project!) is so brilliantly defiant - he stands his ground and looks you in the eye, and so I thought he deserved a special frame.  

I was lucky enough recently to win some gorgeous candy from the wonderful Lynne over at Adorn.  If you've never visited her blog, I really recommend it - she creates exquisite works of shabby chic art, subtle and beautiful.

The copper Inkssentials Memory Frame which surrounds my PaperBoy was just one of many lovely things in my package from Lynne (there'll be some more examples coming up soon), and I'd been waiting for the right project to use it.



The main tag is created using Fresco paints and the PaperArtsy crackle glaze - results every time! 

Once I had my delicious crackle, I sanded the edges for extra shabbying, and added the sentiment - clear embossed for extra impact - and then some Vintage Photo DI to distress it further.








The next layer is a chunky kraft tag by East of India.  This was part of a set given me by another lovely friend (thank you Lynda) and, again, I've been hoarding them for special occasions.  

I brushed the tag roughly with a wash of Snowflake Fresco paint, and used the fabulous text collage stamp from the set to add some extra interest.










The boy himself is watercoloured with Distress Stains, applied with a waterbrush direct from the craft sheet.  

I cut up some acetate packaging so that I could add a "glass" cover to the image within the frame.  (Those who enjoy such things - if you look very closely, you'll see it's just minimally too short - not enough acetate to go round!)










I dyed some seam binding (of course) to go on the top, and that completes the picture.  I really like the layers against one another - building forward and upward from the optimistic sentiment to that intense gaze.











I hope that's offered you some further temptation towards these glorious stamps.  If you want to see the full set, you'll find it here.  

And don't forget the March Referral Programme is still on over at Artistic Outpost - just one AO image on your project and you can join in for the chance of a prize package from Artistic Outpost - definitely worth playing for!






Thanks so much for your company today - each and every comment is so much appreciated, even if I'm a little less prompt than usual in paying return visits - apologies, and I'll try to do better!

The hero is one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by.
Felix Adler

A boy doesn't have to go to war to be a hero; he can say he doesn't like pie when he sees there isn't enough to go around.
Edgar Watson Howe

A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.
Christopher Reeve

40 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous layers Alison, the young lad fits perfectly into the frame and stands there so proudly. The crackled background is a great textural effect and all looks beautifully distressed.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Jenny Marples said...

Beautiful Alison, perfect layering every time! Love how you've framed the little boy. Hugs, Jenny x

Neil said...

Lovely layers here and I love the way the boy is framed in. Thanks for sharing.

Helen said...

He's fantastic, even if he has no shoes, poor thing! Love the layers and your trademark colours!!

brenda said...

I never tire of seeing this colour combo Alison, it is one of my favourites is always pleasing to the eye.

I'm just going to have another read through to check out you did with the sentiment because it looks very effective.

B x

toni said...

Lovely work Alison, yes i too love your signature colours, great layers and subject x hope the trip is going well x

Amanda said...

Alison this is lovely, love the boy with attitude and he looks great in the frame. I love this colour combo but also have loved what you have done away from your comfort zone.
Love
Amanda x

chrissie said...

Your 'special' colours always work so well together. This is a wonderful tag

Love Chrissie xx

Fliss said...

Just gorgeous Alison. A feast of shabby chicness here and just love the crackle background.
Hugs, Fliss xx

Rita said...

Brenda, this is just stunning. The colours work so nicely together. I just love those stamps, will need to ask Annie if I can borrow them. Have a nice Day. Hugs Rita xx

Rita said...

Sorry Alison. I just called you Brenda, I think because I was reading her post. Hugs Rita xxx

barbarayaya62 said...

Alison it's a very beautiful tag! Very beutiful, colors and boy are stunning! Barbarayaya

Astrid Maclean said...

Well, being more of a muted colour person myself, this one made my heart sing straight away.... I have to say, that PA crackle does give the most wonderful effect! Love all the layers and the lovely framed boy, and yes, I'll let you know, you had tempted me to this set already with your very first project using it (well the other DT members did too) and I now have it in my possession and can't wait to start playing with it. This tag is another real beauty!

Nan G said...

Lovely tag! The crackle finish is fab and the brown tag on top really highlights both tags!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous tag Alison. Love the colours and the little boy is just darling. TFS.
Regards Florence x

Hettie said...

Beautiful Alison. Just Beautiful.
Hugs
xx

Krisha said...

An other amazing piece of art Alison! I adore blue and brown together, and your tutorial (and pics) are so easy to follow. Great show and tell!! I have been lucky enough to win some things from Lynne too, and never a dissapointment. Show us what you won sweetie!

Sarah said...

I love brown/blue...I love tags...I love layered tags...I love crackle...I love your work!!!

Sandy said...

Your blog is so much fun and so interested Alison - always something new and I enjoy reading how you achieved a certain look. You always include some neat reading too! Beautifully done Alison.
Sandy

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, a beautiful combination of blue and brown, love the way you framed the boy and your wonderful distressing. Hugs, Anne x

ria gall said...

this is so beautiful and the little lad just makes me want to take him home, so moving the way he looks at you.
Stunning
Ria

Anonymous said...

Alison, between you and me I am glad we managed to find a suitable "home" for this little chap.
He reminds me of old images from places such as the Gorbals or the East End of London. A touching image.
Beautiful use of the text to go with this stamp.
Wishes
Lynne
P.S. Thank you for such kind words.

froebelsternchen said...

oh my gosh.. just a romance ... a beautiful romance on paper.. you are such a talented paper-artist Alison!

Wonderful!
happy weekend!

Susi

May said...

Gorgeous tag Alison, Love that little chap & how you have framed him!! I have these stamps on my wish list!!Great colours & Brilliant crackle background.. Hugs May x x x

maj. said...

An amazing tag, love the beautiful details !!!!

Dianne said...

Another stunning tag Alison, I remember the last time you used blue with the gorgeous book that inspired me soooo much, to make one. I too love Lynne from Adorn, her work is amazing too. I visited you DSINL. Laura, her work is gorgeous, what a talented family you all are,anyway thanks for your inspiration have a great weekend..

Annie said...

Fabulous tag Alison. I love the background and the second tag with the stamped image in the frame adds further interest. Brilliant

I now have a set so must get some time to play

Hugs

Annie x

Janny Jager said...

Very very beautiful Alison.
Great details.
Love it.
Greetings Janny

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison, your tag is so beautiful, the soft blue tones, and the image, the embossed sentiments, and the crackle- all makes it a gorgeous tag, and so wonderful to place the boy in dear Lynne`s copper frame.
Hugs and happy weekend,
from Dorthe

Terry said...

Charming is what comes to mind! I always love tags on tags, but now you have gone and added a most adorable frame! Love the crackled background as well! Enjoy the weekend! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Alison, your tag is stunning! I love the clear embossed sentiment! xx

maria's knutselplezier said...

This tag is olso very , very beautiful, I love the boy stamp a lot, I put it on my wish list!!!

Greetings
Maria

Lucy Edmondson said...

Oooh, I love the glossy wording!

Lucy x

catherine said...

Another amazing piece Alison and looks fabulous
x catherine

Keren Tamir said...

Gorgeous tag and what an inspirational quote. Your work is always so inspiring

Bonnie Irvine said...

That has to be one of my favourite sentiments and suits this little guy to a tee. The three different layers and levels make for a very cool effect. Great idea to frame him. Love the watercolour look of the stains on his image...lovely.

Sue said...

A wonderful tag Alison, I love how you've framed your little paperboy x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Just beautiful! Love him and his background...perfectly vintage!

Bärbel said...

Ein wunderbarer Hintergrund in den zarten Blautönen. Die Idee, den Jungen in einen Rahmen zu setzen, finde ich großartig!
Liebe Grüße, Bärbel

Anke said...

Absolutely stunning, I love your tag.

Hugs
Anke