I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 13 March 2013

Flower Power

Hey all, and welcome...  I'm here with some inspiration for the latest eclectic Paperie challenge.  It's hosted by Micki, and she decided on an Altered Fabric theme - all you have to do is include fabric in your project.

Now, because of all the travelling, I'm afraid I'm a bit late with my contribution, but think of this as an extra nudge to come and play... you still have until March 20th, so there's plenty of time to join in. All the details are here, along with more inspiration from my fab team-mates, marked DT in the linky below the challenge.  So here's my starter for ten...


As usual with my eP posts, you'll find links at the bottom to take you straight to the products, but my main ingredient - my fabric - isn't available from the store I'm afraid.  In one of her early planning emails, Micki was talking about the fabric being recycled, and that's where my brain stuck.  So my fabrics are from the bags of stuff left over from my brother and sister-in-law's Handmade Wedding last summer.


As I was packing my travelling stash, I grabbed various bits of material and thought I'd work out what to do with them when I got here.

Tattered Florals are everywhere at the moment (thanks to Tim Holtz's amazing prize challenge), and so are Spring themes and Green themes, so I guess all of that had quite a strong influence on where I ended up.  But mine is Spring with a touch of grunge!

And, once again, I've ended up with two tags when I didn't really mean to... but I'm not complaining at a two for the price of one.




The backgrounds are the result of playing with my new Dylusions White Linen spray.  I used it with some Bundled Sage Distress Stain to do some wrinkle-free distress technique.  You get a lovely opaque, marbled look.  

This opaque white spray is so much fun to combine with other products, as it changes their appearance really effectively.





And the reason I have two tags is simple... I put too much ink on the craft mat so I had to soak it up!  The whole two word slogan thing all came much later, when it seemed a waste not to use both tags and all the flowers I'd ended up cutting.




Ah, yes... the flowers: I cut my ivory crushed satiny fabric (wedding drapery to cover the walls of the Scout Hut we were in) using the Tattered Florals die, and dyed half the flowers with Antique Linen Distress Stain before layering them up alternately.












One flower starts with a mainly ivory large base, and the other with a mainly Antique Linen large base, and so you end up with two subtly differently coloured flowers.














They're fastened with little coppery heart brads, and then given a good scrunching and some added Vintage Photo for extra grunge-factor.










I ran some of the green fabric (used as table runners, as well as chair-back-tie decorations for the wedding) through the BigShot with the Tattered Leaves die to create my foliage.












The copper heart brads made me long for some more metallic embellishments, and - inspired this time by the DragonsDream Tag recipe - Green, Cogs, Die-Cuts - I decided to add some cogs and gears.













I used a couple of coppery ones, and altered a couple of silvery ones with some paint and alcohol inks, heating them until the surface bubbled to give a great grungy look.





I was also really excited to use my Tim Holtz Worn Text stamp set, from the new releases, for the first time.  I sat for quite a while looking at the tags, and trying to think of a really short phrase of Spring poetry which would fit on (the letters are quite large).  



Then, finally, it hit me... We have the flower(s), and with the cogs and gears we have a symbol of industrial power(s) - obvious really for a child of the 60s (just!!).  Flower Power it is.  

These shabby letters are so cool - as an alphabet collector, I just had to have them - I'm so lucky that my eP duties make it possible.



Very cool too to be able to line up the whole word on my acrylic plate and stamp it all in one go rather than a letter at a time.  I must try to use more words that don't have the same letter in more than once!










A bit more Vintage Photo around the edges of the tags, and a little more brushed onto the petals of the flowers, and some crinkle ribbon dyed with Vintage Photo Distress Stain, and we're all done.


Double Trouble again for the DragonsDream challenge (sorry... I seem to keep ending up with two tags for you), and I hope some inspiration to fire your imaginations and get you joining in with the Altered Fabric challenge at eP.  There's a prize voucher to spend in store, so it's well worth it.  


For now, thanks so much for stopping by, and I'll see you again soon.




Nature, exerting an unwearied power,
Forms, opens, and gives scent to every flower.
William Cowper

You have it in your power to make your days on Earth a path of flowers, instead of a path of thorns.
Sri Sathya Sai Baba

I'd like to enter this in the following:
I don't know if we're allowed more than one go at Tim's Tattered Florals challenge, but if so here's my second!
DragonsDream Tag It On where the current recipe is Green, Die-Cuts, and Cogs
And I think I've just got time to get another one in under the wire for Simon Says Stamp's challenge to include A Bit O' Green
And at Tando Creative Challenges, the March challenge is Flowers

Click on the link to go straight to the product:


54 comments:

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...gorgeous tags Alison, love the soft muted colours, the material's origin only adds to the romance of your wonderfully put together petals (I must check out this TH comp)...awesome crafting...Melx :)

brenda said...

Have I just not been very observant last few visits or is that a new blog header ? Very pretty anyhow.

And a lovely tag Alison, I do like this colour combo so much.

B x

Annie said...

LOve your tag backgrounds Alison and you are so right you can't waste good ink ! The tattered florals are stunning as are the leaves and cogs. TFS and have a great day

Annie x

Helen said...

The tags are beautiful, love the white linen spray over bundled sage (I love that colour!) it's gorgeous! The material for the florals is so pretty - I read the story of the wedding after your link last time, how fabulous it was!

Vee Cassidy said...

Your tags are lovely. The backgrounds are great and the florals just beautiful. Vee xx

chrissie said...

Travelling certainly doesn't hold you back-this is a very beautiful tag and all of the fabric blends so well together.

Have fun

Love Chrissie xx

barbarayaya62 said...

Alison love your tags! Stunning!!!!! love the colors, the flowers ... fantastic! Hugs Barbarayaya

Fliss said...

Wow! These are stunning Alison. Love the shabby distressed style and the tag backgrounds are fabulous.
Really clever way with words too - inspired!
Hugs, Fliss xx

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous way to use fabric Alison, gorgeous tags.
Hope the museum set up is going well
hugs {brenda} x0x

Unknown said...

I love the soft muted colors, its a beautiful background. Fabulous shabby Tags.

Marlies

maj. said...

Lovely soft colours ,
looks wonderful!!!

Laurart said...

These are beautiful! I adore the colours. So glad to see you are still using materials from the wedding. Lots of love from Laura xxxxxx

Jenny Marples said...

Adore that background combo and your lovely flowers. Thanks for the nudge about the eP challenge - have something to enter for once!! Hope all is well, hugs Jenny x

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning! Love that white and sage colour combo, and those flowers and leaves? what can I say, total yummyness in my book and the metal hearts and other grungy metal bits just finish it off to perfection!

May said...

Stunning tags... Love the soft muted colours of the background.. Your flowers are so beautiful.. Love them both your work Alison is so inspirational... Hugs May x x x

Kelly said...

I am in love with these! Look at those gorgeous colors and fabric. Love the fluffy flowers and how you distressed them. PErfect!
Hugs Kelly

Kate Yetter said...

Such shabby, feminine flowers! Beautiful tags!

Lin said...

How beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us at the Simon Says Stamp challenge this week!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Lovely tags in great colours Alison...and the flowers...they are great!

kind regards, Alie :-)

Hettie said...

These are gorgeous Alison. Love the gentle colouring of the flowers.
Hugs
xx

Sarah said...

A lovely softness with the posies and pale green accents and a great show of power with the metal embellies. Very pretty, Alison!

Rita said...

Fabulous Tag. I love all the elements Alison and a great way to use up fabric and enhance the flowers too. TFS. Hugs Rita xx

Sandy said...

You are supposed to be gallivanting through Europe having a gay ole time of it. Well I feel better after seeing your two tags that you are in a very happy place. Your tags are super soft - Gotta love that Dylusions White Linen spray (just went and bought me some). All the fabric you are using is just grand. I sure wish I had been at your brother's wedding. I bet it was gorgeous!! Your tags have a very beautiful soft appearance and if it weren't for you cogs I wold not know it was really you. But the cogs do seem to keep the flowers from floating away. Beautiful work Alison.
Sandy

Redanne said...

I just have this vision of you now, with no clothes in your suitcase because it is full of craft goodies and you carrying your Big Shot! Your tags have fabulous backgrounds (I only use the Dylusions white to cover my mistakes.....) and those flowers are so, so beautiful. Love your new alpha stamps too. Hugs, Anne x

Tracy said...

Oh my they are stunning Alison...adore your projects!!
Hugs
Tracy
Xxxx

Karen McAlpine said...

Love the way you used the satin fabric from the wedding. Fabulous background treatment too. Love the tags!!

Terry said...

Lovely tags, Alison! Flower Power never looked so amazing! Beautiful use of fabic and great backgrounds! Enjoy the day! Hugs!

Dianne said...

Dear Alison I don't mind waiting at all for your wonderful creations,the tags of course are fabulous, using the left over material brilliant,I love how you think,its hard to use the inks and only do 1 tag, must do more lol, Have a wonderful day and thank for all the info on how you made them..

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love love love the colours and backgrounds. Your flowers are gorgeous. Really pretty piece. Love the flower centres too. Tracy x

craftytrog said...

Beautiful floral tags Alison! x

Anonymous said...

The flowers are scrumptious and the heart brad is a lovely touch.
Beautiful tags.
Wishes
Lynne

Dortesjs said...

This is a fantastic

Netty said...

am loving your very special flowers Alison, such gorgeous colours. Take care of yourself. Hugs Annette x

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison, your tags are little wonders of beauty, with the gorgeous flowers on that great background!-So very beautiful!
Hugs,Dorthe

Geraldine said...

love your tags, the soft colours are gorgeous, as are your flowers. I just read your post about the wedding preparations, you did a wonderful job, loved it all.

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Wooow, this is gorgeous Alison! I don't have much time to read all the detail at the mo so will have to come back for another look! :) xx

Nan G said...

Fab tags! They look very gauzy and romantic Ina grungy vintage way. :)

Micki said...

ohhh awesome tags. Absolutely love the color and love the fabric flowers. Wonderful tags.... :-)

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous tattered florals! Love the frilly and feminine feel here...soft and lovely!

Chris said...

Oh they're so pretty Alison and I love the effect of the marbling with the ink and stain. Your flowers are superb and the texture of the in fabric is wonderful. Chris x

Dawn said...

Ooh Alison, what stunning tags, I love them. Your background is superb, love the marbling effect.
Happy travelling.
Hugs x

Annette Green said...

Amazing as usual Alison. So loving the look and feel of these tags. Just a beautiful job! (better late than never. Me too. Just posted mine.)

Bärbel said...

Die Flower-Power-Tags sind fantastisch, Alison, mir gefallen die Farben und die großen Blüten in Verbindung mit den Zahnrädern sehr gut!

Mrs.B said...

Beautiful tags, love the subtle colours.
Avril

Sue said...

These are really beautiful Alison, I love these tattered florals, I don't use mine nearly often enough. The distress stain and dylusion spray background is fabulous, definitely something to try. Thank you so much for joining us at Dragons Dream TIO. Sue xx

toni said...

Fabulously feminine two for the price of one! Love the flower power message x

Nan G said...

Oh so soft and delicate! Lucious flowers, Alison.

Carol Plume said...

What striking tags - that white linen is great isn't it really love the effect with distress stains. Thank you for joining us at tando creative xx

Monique's art said...

Very pretty love them. Thanks for sharing at tio

pearshapedcrafting said...

Two lovely tags - I love the way you have made your flowers look oh so beautiful! Chrisx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Both of your tags are fantastic, great elements and texture. Thanks for dreaming with us at Dragons Dream Tag It On.

Dagmar said...

oh the tags are wonderful - so lovely

Dana Tatar said...

Wow! Stunning tags. The flowers are beautiful! Thanks for joining the Tando Challenge!

Maggie said...

Stunning Tags lovely shade of green so delicate great word choice too!


MaggieH