I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 19 March 2013

Do you have that in blue?

Hello all,  I'm here today with my entry for the inaugural Indigoblu challenge which, appropriately enough, has the theme Blue.  There's a wonderful prize on offer, so if you've got any Indigoblu stamps it's time to crack'em out...

I don't have many, but one of the sets I do have was one of my earliest stamp purchases.  I just love vintage ephemera like labels, old newspapers and adverts, and the Yorkshire Evening Post set ticks all the boxes (as well as having some splendid ink blots and splatters included!).


There are three main columns in the set (and the newspaper banner), so the immediate thought I had was to create a triptych.  And, I have to say, what with the fashion theme of many of the adverts, and the colour blue to play with - I was irresistibly reminded of this brilliant BT (or Beattie) advert throughout the time I was making this!



First I had a little inky play to create my backgrounds...

I sploshed Chipped Sapphire, Stormy Sky and Weathered Wood Distress Stains onto the craft mat and then added several spritzes of the new White Linen Dylusions spray.  I even love how they look on the mat!


Then I swirled a sheet of A4 cardstock through the inkiness creating a fantastic marbled look.

Of course you can use Picket Fence Distress Stain for this, but the Dylusions has a different consistency, and creates a different blending of the colours, I think.



I dried this off with a heat tool before going back in for some dabbing and dotting (drying in between each dabble), Tim-Holtz-wrinkle-free-distress-styleee.










The newspaper columns are stamped in Cobalt Archival on white cardstock, and I've used Distress Markers in Stormy Sky and Weathered Wood to colour in some parts quite roughly.

I cut them out and started to layer them onto my background, trimming quite a broad border so that we wouldn't lose too much of that inky loveliness.

(You'll be glad to know I was using blue glue too!)









Such adorable millinery for children...














Such chic outfits for ladies...











And how manly is his stance?!














There was plenty of my marbled background left over for me to create some flowers.  I ran it through the BigShot with the Tattered Garland decorative strip die.











I also ran through some plain white cardstock so that I could create varied layers to show off the blue properly.  They're fastened with Idea-ology long attachers.










And I used the die-cut waste from cutting the flowers as a stencil to decorate the backs of the panels.  I blended more of the Stormy Sky, Chipped Sapphire and, of course my beloved Vintage Photo - which you'll have noticed plays a big part on the front of the triptych too!












To connect my panels I couldn't quite decide between jump rings and crinkle ribbon but, having tried each, I thought: why not use both?










And I'm really pleased with how it's turned out, because the jump rings are in the corners where there's already plenty of floral action going on, and the ribbons provide extra interest where there's slightly more space.

So there's my blue Indigoblu triptych - I had a ball creating this one!

Thank you so much for stopping by, and have a great week, whatever it is you're up to...

Oh! `darkly, deeply, beautifully blue',
As someone somewhere sings about the sky.
Lord Byron


I'd like to enter this in Indigoblu's inaugural challenge with the theme of Blue.


54 comments:

Debi said...

just love the blue inky background Butterfly! so pretty and girly altogether, Debi x

Inkypinkycraft said...

This looks absolutely gorgeous! Love how you have used used the dylusions too! Great colours hugs trace x

Deborah said...

Blue is one of those colours I rarely see, or use (or is that just me). Which makes this piece so refreshing. Your marbled paper is a masterpiece!

annes paperfun said...

Wow!! Gorgeous! Love the blue colors ♥
Hugs, Anne

Jenny Marples said...

Beautiful panels well framed Alison. Love the flowers and impressed that you have even used blue glue!! Hugs, Jenny x

Anke said...

Adorable Alison, great work and I love the blue colors.



Helen said...

This is totally fabulous! I love the blue you created, that white linen spray is just fab, I love it; you're right about the puddle on the craft mat, too. The flowers are a perfect touch.

Annie said...

Love. This project Alison. Fab backgrounds and stamps with beautiful tattered florals

Very inspiring

Annie x

chrissie said...

Terrific background to showcase the amazing stamps that you have used.

Have a good day

Love Chrissie xx

brenda said...

The tone on tone looks really great Alison.

Did your package arrive OK ?

B x

barbarayaya62 said...

LOve this project! FAb colors and all details !!!! Hugs BArbarayaya

Ginger said...

Lovely project Alison, I guilty have this stamp still uninked, so thank you for the inspiration. x

froebelsternchen said...

wonderful Alison.. I just wish to sit on your workdesk nearby and watch your process!

Andrea Small said...

Nice to see Beattie again :-)
Lovely inky blues - makes me think of Quink and laundry blue bags lol
Andrea x

CreativSpirit said...

I really love this, the colours and stamps are gorgeous.

Claudia N. said...

This is soo gorgeous, Alison!

I love your use of ribbon AND rings! And the loads of flowers :)

And I definitely have to have that White Linen Dylusions spray!!!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Amazing shades of blue and what a great project too! (lol, that rhymes!) funny, last nite I was playing with the same tech and wish I had white...

Astrid Maclean said...

Great make and that blue colour is just so yummy! Love how you have attached the panels together and great stamping of course!

Alexa said...

This is so lovely - I've never tried working in just one colour but this shows how fantastic that can be. Love it! x

Gio said...

Just GORGEOUS!!

I love the IB stamps, these are very beautiful. Good luck with the challenge!

House of Bears said...

Wow, we really love this, we must try your background idea, it looks great. Love your flowers with their multi tonal look, may have to try that too. :)

Nan G said...

Fab piece! Love the way the white Dylusions has softened the blue.

Redanne said...

A stunning blue creation Alison, love how you created the background with the inks and Dylusions, had not thought to mix the two..... love the gorgeous tattered flowers too. Best of luck with the challenge. Hugs, Anne x

Dawn Ruth said...

SIMPLY FABULOUS

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely Alison, really like the blue and your background is gorgeous and mottled. Love how you stencilled the back too, lovely touch. Tracy x

craftytrog said...

A beautiful piece Alison, & you used my favourite background technique to great effect! xx

Rita said...

This creation hits the spot for me Alison. You have done so much work and boy was it worth it. TFS. Hugs Rita xx

Terry said...

Love those vintage images, but that background is incredible! So dreamy and gorgeous! Hugs!

Sandy said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!! I tell you Alison, your blog is like a free art lesson. I do declare that I think you could charge for going to your blog - I would pay!!!!
Sandy

Brenda Brown said...

Love, love, love that background Alison, beautiful mix of colours. The stamps have worked so well on it and you have spread your magic as usual and created a fabulous piece.
x0x

Carol Q said...

fab background Alison and very clever how you've managed to stick to just the blue and cream theme throughout.

Sophie said...

Boooaaaahhh...

Meine Güte, ich muss nach Luft schnappen.
Das ist ja wieder einmal ein Meisterwerk.
Unglaublich schön mit diesen vielen Blau-Tönen.
Es sieht aus, wie feines Delfter Porzellan oder Delfter Kacheln.
Traumhaft schön.

Umarmung von Sophie xx

Unknown said...

A fabulous piece Alison! Love the backgrounds, beautiful. Unusual to see such a blue piece but you've really made it work, it's fab'! Chris xxx

Linda said...

Wow! This is fab. love the inky background - just got my hands on a bottle of the Dylusions White ink, can't wait to play! The stamp set looks great done in the blue and the die cut flowers add the perfect finishing touch. Thanks for joining in with the first Indigo Blu challenge, and Good luck! Linda xx

maj. said...

What a great background!!!!

catherine said...

This just looks so fabulous Alison. Love all the images and the flowers go so well
x catherine

Dorthe said...

Love your background colouring, dear Alison, and those blue`s are beautiful, the die cut flowers are so sweet and the binding sweet and lovely, too. A beautiful triptych in amazing colours.
xo,Dorthe

Mrs.B said...

This looks fabulous in Blue, and a wonderful background too! Love the cover using the waste as a stencil.
Avril xx

May said...

Gorgeous blue creation! Love the stamps you have used Fabulous inky background..Great flowers too... Hugs May x x x

Jennie Atkinson said...

Fabulous! I love the colours and those stamps are wonderful. A great project!

toni said...

Yes I'll take this one ...in blue please ! lovely project Alison, Love the imagery and of course the gorgeous blues x

Dianne said...

Woohoo look at that all these lovely visitors, thanks for dropping by. This blue creation is another BOMB... All that inking sends shivers "-" .. The background paper awesome, love all the pretty flowers, the way you attached it together brilliant, looks so kool. Have a fabulous day Miss Butterfly..

Lili said...

Gorgeous Alison! Love the marble look you created, and
every single detail.
Hugs :)

Keren Tamir said...

Wow love the project. I especially love how u made that background. I'm going to try it. Love blue and love what u did.

Shelby said...

Love how you've created the gorgeous blue and white swirly background! You've done an amazing job as always and it is such a striking design.

Shelby

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous!!! Absolutely gorgeous! Love the color, fabulous images, love the triple parts and tattered florals!

Anonymous said...

Uuuiiihhh, what a great background!
I think, i must have the white dylusion spray...seufz...
Hier passt mal wieder alles perfekt zusammen. Danke auch für deine Erklärungen...auch wenn es dann manchmal wieder teuer für mich wird :)

Sue said...

A wonderful tryptich Alison, great use of colour and stamps xx

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful (or possibly, bleautiful!) use of the ephemera stamps and all that wonderful inkiness on offer as well and I so like that you took the time to decorate the back.
Wishes
Lynne

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous piece Alison - love those colours - need that Dylusions spray!! Love the way you have stencilled using the flower shapes! Chrisx

Julia S-W said...

I really do have to catch up with you Alison - my apologies but I always get here in the end!
Love the blue and the way you've added the off white and odd brown tones here and there. The florals are so pretty too. Great stamp plate - I don't think I've noticed this one before.
Juliaxx

Minxy said...

This is just stunning Alison.
Thanks for the lovely comments on my blog, sorry it's taken me so long to visit x

Hettie said...

Oo La Lah Alison!!
Love all the images - fabulous stamps! And fabulous way of using them. Need that Dylusions spray!
xx

Margaret said...

Pardon me while I shut my mouth and wipe the drool away...
I realize that I am partial to blue, but even without that, this is gorgeous!! Your inky background is fabulous and I love that you shared the technique photos! Add to that the wonderful images, and lovely flowers, and you have a masterpiece in blue!