I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Saturday 26 January 2013

Baker's Dozen

Hello all, I've so been enjoying the retrospectives people have offered up either side of New Year, but I'd thought I probably shouldn't join in, as I hadn't got a full year under my belt.  But I've given in, inspired by one of my favourite crafters - Claudia (die amelie), who started blogging at about the same time as I did (June 2012).  She's just offered up her top 12 projects of last year (a-ma-zing!!) over at the Catered Crop Recipe Swap, so I decided to do the same.  Come and play too... you have until February 2nd.

It's quite a strange process looking back over the immense learning curve of the last eight months or so - but useful to look at how this journey is developing, and really interesting discovering which pieces make the shortlist, and which ones I scurry past in a hurry, trying to forget!  One thing is that it makes me feel quite strongly that I've taken (another) big learning leap of discovery as we headed into 2013 - I'm already looking forward to doing next year's list!!

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's what I've picked out as my 12 personal favourites (though there are a couple of others I do feel bad about leaving out!!), in no particular order as they say on those talent shows.  You can, of course, click the links for more details and photos of any that take your fancy...

Sonnet Mash-Up remains one of my all time favourites - Shakespeare plus crafting, and inspired by a glorious experience in my "regular" work.




















Companion Piece is formed of a pair of tags which "speak to each other" - with opposing elements shifting from tag to tag.  Again it was inspired by Shakespeare and my, at that point, new Autumnal Distress colours.








A Gatherer of Simples is a little pocket spell book: all about the stamping really... with part of a spell I wrote in primary school and still remember!












































And now for something completely different...  The Puppeteer: an altered steampunk bookmark (note to self - more steampunk in 2013 please), and an early encounter with the turquoises that now obsess me!
























Anyone suffering from shock will be relieved by the return to vintage neutrals in this tag using an image of the glorious singer Lily Elsie, Musical Tic Tac Toe.














Permanent Ghosts arrived out of me playing with what is possibly my favourite stamp set of all - Artistic Outpost's Think and Wonder.  The quote was an unbelievably serendipitous find.  (This one is really worth visiting the original for - it comes to life in the close-ups which capture more of its real life impact, I think.)











Another tag now, A Heart Full of Love... the start of a love affair with PaperArtsy's crackle glaze, and also part of my enduring love of autumnal craftiness.
























A Sense of Belonging is another heavily PaperArtsy influenced piece from around this time (November) - I'd just seen Leandra in action at the Hobbycrafts show at the NEC.  This one holds the seeds of much of my 2013 crafting so far - texture paste, turquoise and Fresco paints!






















































An altered book now, What the Dickens?: my mother's childhood copy of Great Expectations with the characters tumbling from its mildewed (fake mildewed, obviously - otherwise, yuck!) pages...
















Golden Memories of Home is much more recent, so many of you may remember it.  Texture, lots of different materials, and an aching heart at the thought of leaving my family home...













Semi-controlled Mayhem is quite an early piece, and still one of my favourites.

A circus Big Top constructed as a mobile, using lots of handmade and altered papers, it predates a lot of my followers, so I really wanted to share it here, as many of you probably won't have seen it...




















It's perhaps another one where a visit to the original post is the only way to really get the measure of it!









Another handmade book now, The Year in Poetry, using beautiful images from Nicecrane Designs, some inky distressing and stamping, stamping, stamping...














I couldn't really do an annual round-up post without mentioning Tim Holtz - and this photo of his amazing book cover stamp seems like as good a moment as any.  


He and his stamps and his Distress range of inks are the reason I arrived in Craftyblogland - they've transformed my whole life.


If you were to do a search on the Labels function on the blog, I don't think you'd find a single post that doesn't include his products or his influence!








And finally in my Baker's Dozen (yes, I know that's 13 really - I just couldn't get it down any further!) I'm offering up the Tint Tin - an altered sweet tin, plain white to start with and now transformed, inside and out... and possibly my worst ever blog title wordplay!













So there you have it... Did I leave out your favourite?  Is there one you're shocked to see here?  I'd love to know what you made of the selection...

And this seems like another good opportunity to thank my followers old and new for your amazing support.  If you'd told me a year ago that I'd be blogging, I'd have laughed in your face, but then it's only a year ago that I first discovered Tim Holtz and the wonder that is Distress so, you know... life changes!!

Thank you so much for your company today and on all the other occasions - it adds so much to this incredible journey to be able to share it with such extraordinarily generous and creatively inspirational people.

I'm offering this up in the Catered Crop Recipe Swap, sharing your top 12 for 2012.  Love to see what others come up with if you've not already shared your favourites.  The link is open for another week, until Saturday 2nd February... 



A Baker's Dozen: This consists of thirteen or fourteen; the surplus number, called the inbread, being thrown in for fear of incurring the penalty for short weight.
Hotten's Dictionary of Slang, 1864

I once sent a dozen of my friends a telegram saying 'flee at once - all is discovered.' They all left town immediately.
Mark Twain



50 comments:

toni said...

Hi Alison fantastic to see these beautiful works again as well as some i missed first time round. You can give yourself a very BIG pat on the back. You've had a fabulously creative year!x PS.I hope you've bought a lottery ticket, It looks like your luck is in with your recent blog candy and SSSS wins! just in time for all those lovely CHA goodies x

craftimamma said...

Fabulous creations you have shared in the short time since you began blogging Alison. I love the steampunk 'Puppeteer'. Such a pretty image which you altered to the steampunk theme so expertly. I love all the other pieces too and the carousel is amazing. I'm glad you shared that one as it must have been before I found your blog. I'm off to check it out now.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Terry said...

These are all so beautiful, Alison! I am so glad that we found each other through blogging! I can understand why the Puppeteer has you loving Turquoises! It is fabulously steampunk gorgeous! I always have loved Tim's Broken China and Tumbled Glass, but the Peacock Feathers goes one step above! Have a great weekend!

ria gall said...

Oh WOW what a journey of loveliness and as you look through them you can see areas where you have grown with techniques. Thank you for sharing this with us so much insperation
Ria

sam21ski said...

Great to see these all together in the one post Alison

Just goes to show much lushousness you've actually made over the last 6 months!!

Sam xx

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, it is so lovely to see so many of your pieces in one place. I love all the choices you made. An old favourite of mine was an Eastern themed piece you made, a set of drawers I think, but it must have been so hard to narrow it all down to 13. It is going to be even harder this year... Hugs, Anne x

Astrid Maclean said...

An explosion for wonderful projects, each one with it's special touch and flavour! Wonderful and so full of creativity, - time and again I find it hard to believe that all of this only started just over 6 months ago! Great to see it all together!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Wow your pictures show so much creativity...you can be proud of every piece!

Greetings, Alie :-)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! It's a good job you didn't ask us to choose! We would have had a harder job than you - there would certainly have been more than 13!!! You have at least got my very favourite there - Permanent ghosts - still makes me feel a bit teary! Oh! and of course - the Sonnet Mash Up and ...... enough Chris!!!! Just want to say Thanks for sharing your favourites! What's next?? Chrisxx

Paper Profusion said...

Wow - if this is what you come up with in your first six then immeasurable treats are in store during 2013! Fabulous crafting Alison and a what a stunning portfolio. Nicola x

Annie said...

What a fab idea Alison. This certainly shows your journey. Your creations are varied with lots of techniques. Fabulous. May think of joining you on this one. As I have been blogging 10 months

Hugs Annie xx

Claudia N. said...

I am so glad you joined in, Alison!

And your wonderful "dozen" is really YOU - and we share the same favourites from your show. "Semi Controlled Mayhem" was when I first stumbled upon you in blogland and was immediately fascinated.

Love what you chose for your favs of 2012!! Thanks for showing!

Hugs,

Claudia x

annes paperfun said...

Oh.my..gosj... your work is amazing!!
So many gorgeous projects.
♥♥♥
Thanks alot for your nice comments in my blog...I really appreciate it♥
Wish you a great weekend!
Hugs, Anne

Yvonne Garner said...

So glad you decided to showcase this Baker's Dozen! Many of my favorites of yours are present. By far, you are one of the most talented artists I have had the pleasure of meeting in blog land. I wish you many successes in 2013. Best, Yvonne

froebelsternchen said...

Oh wow Alison I can´t tell you how wonderful this all looks for my taste! It´s an amazing one hihglight after the other highlight show to me.. I really enjoy each single piece! Fantastic!

I adore all this and it makes me happy to read that you are in love with Claudia's ART too.
I love her style also !

Have a wonderful weekend Alison!
Blessings!

xxx Susi

catherine said...

It is always such a huge pleasure visiting your blog Alison and you are such a creative person. love everything you do and so talented. Have a good weekend
x catherine

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow... Alison, you are such a talented artist! Love all these gorgeous projects! ^_^

Shelby said...

Beautiful display of your range of talent and skills! All so unique and all so perfectly gorgeous.

Shelby

Inkypinkycraft said...

here is just a small selection of the beautiful creations you have made.so truly stunning makes hugs trace x

Deborah said...

I wish I'd been able to create such fantastic and varied work after 8 months, Alison (wish I could now!).
So hard to choose favourites but for me it would have to be the big top. Really looking forward to the next 8 months!

Bonnie Irvine said...

Alison, what a lovely and diverse collection of your art. You have had an amazing journey and I am so delighted to have been included through your blog. Your talent is a gift and a constant source of inspiration for me.

Keren Howell said...

You have a very definite style and I just love it! XXX Keren

Martina said...

Dear Alison, your art work is fabulous, thank you for sharing. I love your amazing imagination, so exciting seeing what you come up with in your creations. Always such fun visiting with you. Have a great sunday.
Biggest friendship
Hugs MARTINA oxo

Unknown said...

my gosh! what a gorgeous collection of works...art! lovely designs and perfectly constructed. beautiful!

Amanda said...

Hi Alison, what a fantastic look back I would be struggling to pick a favourite as I see so much thought and artistic talent in them all. I look forward to your 2013 and the ideas that you bring to life.
Love
Amanda x

Netty said...

wow a wonderful explosion of all your fabulous arty creations Alison. Thank you for sharing, hugs Annette x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Breathtaking creations, thanks for sharing them again.

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh, Alison, I'm so glad you did this! What a gorgeous collection of your beautiful art. I wish I could see them all in person... your attention to detail is amazing!

Sarah said...

All of your creations are so beautiful that it would be hard to pick just one. I do love A Gatherer of Simples. The colors and images are delightfully vintage.

Hettie said...

Oooo Alison. Great work you have shown here and they are ALL my favourites!!
Thanks for showing your carousel, I hadn't discovered you then!
Hugs
xx

Cathy L. Calamas said...

I am so glad that you did this. I've only been a follower for about 6 months so I missed so many of your AMAZING creations,. Up to now i had thought that "A Year of Poetry" was my favorite but I have to say now that I've seen "Permanent Ghosts", It's my favorite. But really, how can I pick among so many beautiful things. You make it too hard. :))

Sandy said...

All the things you do are my favorites - but I must say, you hit the high spots!!!!!
Sandy

chrissie said...

Just wonderful to see these amazing works of art gathered together as a collection Alison.

Love to see whatever you make and always they are inspiring in some way.

Keep up the great work

Love Chrissie xx

Gio said...

Such a wonderful display, Alison.

Thanks for sharing with us your amazing Art!

Sophie said...

Das ist alles so großartig, so wunderschön...
mir fehlen weitere Worte :-)

Unknown said...

Wow Alison, what a fabulous visual treat to savor your learning curve. You should be so proud because you truly possess an awesome talent within. Congrats!

Mrs.B said...

Lovely to see these gorgeous creations again.
Avril xx

Lisa Minckler said...

Well that was most refreshing, invigorating and inspirational. I've loved this journey through the past and even though they are ALL exquisite works of art, I'm still partial to the big top tent!! :)
TFS Alison...that was a blast.
Lisa x

Nicecrane Designs said...

Wowwww love all your creations especially the one with my picts "A Year in Poetry" and all over your steampunk creation,,,,,absolutely so stunning ones.

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Wow, what an amazing collection - fantastic work Alison. The musical tag has stolen my heart though, I think it's my favourite :)). xxx

Dorthe said...

Oh how amazing that you only started learning all this tecniques, half a year ago, dear Alison- you are truly a nature talent.
This little collection of beautiful different projects are so proove of that.
May you have years and years of joy creating and learning in the future,- I am so happy that I am here to follow you.
Hugs,Dorthe

May said...

What a feast on the eyes Alison... I could look at your work all day!! Fabulous, Breathtaking, Gorgeous, Amazing, Beautiful.... I think my message is I LOVE, LOVE LOVE it all... Hugs May x x x

Janny Jager said...

Very very beautiful and so nice to see this greta projects again Alison.
Thanks for showing them all together.
Greetings Janny

Victoria said...

Loving this trip down your memory lane! You have such extraordinary crafting talent and it is beautiful to see it on your blog.

Wordbird said...

Wowee! You are more than a paper crafter dear... you are an artist! Your creations are so wonderful. ;D TFS... I enjoyed my visit to your blog.

Keren Tamir said...

Wow Alison I'm in awe. Love love all the tags. And the other projects are fantastic.

Lucy Edmondson said...

I love the piece where you have used Think and Wonder in a shadowy way, but I had not seen the turquoise steampunk piece before so that is a new favourite. Love the round-up, and thank you for always being so supportive. Look forward to seeing more of your art in 2013,

Lucy x

Sue said...

Wow what a fantastic year you have had Alison. What wonderful pieces of art! xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

A good year indeed...just like a fine wine! You've achieved so much in such a short time, which says something about the amount of talent you have. Focus on that in times of low mojo and when that stupid little voice in your head says you can't, slap the crap out of it, because it is very evident YOU CAN!!! You are an amazing Artist! You will go far! I applaud loudly and for a long long time! KUDOS to you! Here is to many many more years of crafting darling!!!

Andrea Small said...

Am seriously behind on comments! One of my favourites isn't included here, and annoyingly I can't find it in a quick trawl through your frankly massive oeuvre! (That's a good thing, in case it reads as otherwise. The massiveness, I mean. I'm impressed by just how much you've achieved. I've been following from the beginning, but something about going back and looking for something made it even more impressive!) Anyhoo, it was the one with the children and the butterflies and I made a comment along the lines of it representing a turning point in time....one of the children had his back to us. xx